When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Pam 111n doesn't start

turboawd

p>Hey guys,</p>

Got the watch today.   It doesn't run.  This is a big dissappointment.  [censored].   What a bad first experience is reps.  Does Toro check that the watches work before shipping?  Or maybbe it got damaged duiring shipping??  

I opened the CG lever, and wound the watch away from me for maybe 30 times.  UNtil I felt resistance.  While winding it makes a clicking noise.  THe seconds hand never moved, and nothing is moving in the movement.  DId I do anything wrong?? I've tried slapping the watch too, to no avail...

What would you guys do, return it to China, (and risk it being lost, etc), or get it repaired locally?

ThanksSent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

As you wound it, if it did get hard and give you resistance, then the main spring is OK, check and see if there is anything loose in the movement(loose screw holding the movement gears). Also check to see if something is jamming the balance. It would help if you took a picture of the back and posted it, Good luck..

Thx for your help...Here's some pics of the movement:

_MG_7319.jpg

_MG_7328.jpg

_MG_7324.jpg

I've actually since discovered that the watch I got is different than in my qc pics...all the blue screws are in different orientations ... So my watch got switched out for a dead... one

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I would say that the problem here is that the balance is over banked, looking at the position of the spars in the balance wheel and comparing thin to the ones i have here non sit with the spras in that position.

Over banking, what its it,

whitesquare5.jpg

The roller Jewel 3 has through cause of shock been able to slip out of the safety fingers and land behind one, so imagine the anchor in the same position as above but the roler jewel now sat where the number one is, thus the balance is trying to go left and anchor needs to go right to relese the next toothbut they cant, it is a simple mater of removing the balance and refiting it and then it should tic away nicely.

This could easily be caused by rough handling in the post even is well padded

On the screw orientation that you mentioned i would also be interested to se the diffentence in the QC pics and that watch you got

hey guys, thanks for replies...here are QC pics (you can see the blue screws are all in different orientations, and the CG corners are sharp):

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

I have since emailed toro, and he claims its the same watch as in QC pics. He claims that they serviced the watch, and that's why the blue screws are in different orientations. He said that the CG can actually look sharp when the photo is taken from far, when it is actually rounded. I don't know...sounds doubtful to me..

Anyway, he has offered a few options:

1. return the watch (shipping at my expense) to china, and he will send me a replacement v3.0 111N watch (which will be in stock in 2 weeks according to him). He said that he would personally handle my exchange (as opposed to his staff).

2. return the watch (shipping at my expense) to china, and get a refund on the watch (not inlcuding original shipping costs). This probably will mean I am out of pocket $50USD.

Or I guess i could just get it fixed at a local watch smith. Not sure how much that would be, but I'm guessing at least $100.

What would you guys do? I'm leaning towards option 1....but also don't want any more hassles, etc...

What a frustrating experience.

Edited by turboawd

These things happen all the time, don't let it frustrate you. Watches are precision instruments and when in transit are subjected to very rough handling. No mechanical watch is made to withstand excessive shock especially when new and not broken in. Try to make a deal with the TD on your next purchase in return for your bad experience, I'm sure they'll work something out with you. I would go with option 1 and be patient, you'll get your watch.

I would agree with Andy, some of these watches are shipped running and this too can cause over banking if jolted. Also, some of them are coming with such high amplitude, that they either over bank at best or break the roller jewel in the worst case scenario. It seems the hair spring is compressed indicating over banking in the clockwise direction. I could be wrong the pictures are not high res. so I did the best with what was there(see picture).

Seems the roller jewel is intact, and resting on the clockwise side of the pallet fork safety finger. This is an easy fix, maybe a 5 minute deal if that.

Good luck

post-6753-0-79827000-1343149822_thumb.jp

Where are you in the world?

I now know what you mean about the screw orientations ie the slot is not the same.

I would say the best option if you like the watch is option 3 if you have a modder near you or a watch smith that you trust that will work on reps

Thanks for the replies guys...I'm in Toronto Canada, not too sure of there are rep friendly watch smiths close by...also it appears like I didn't get the latest CG, so I think I am leaning towards returning it for replacement....so what has everyone's experience been when returning stuff to trusted dealers for exchange? generally everything turns out ok, right? Do shipments generally arrive safely in China as long as I get a tracking number?

Thx

Hey guys thanks fort all the advice...I think I will be shipping the watch back to China using a traceable service and asking for a new watch...

I'll let you know how it works out...

I will also ask for a discount if I do order something else in the future...but to be honest not to sure I will be getting another rep anyone soon...

• 4 weeks later...

I also just received a PAM 111 N Noob V 3 swiss movement from Toro. It also does not work I wound the watch 40 or 50 times until it met resistance. It ticked for 20 seconds then completely stopped and has not worked since. Toro continues to respond to me saying I don't know how to wind a watch and will not acknowledged it doesn't work. My QC pics are also different from the actual watch I received. My watch is missing a small blue screw in the lower aspect of the watch. I wonder if he is recycling bad watches? Can anyone help?

QC PIC:

post-46876-0-10959400-1345302385_thumb.j

MINE:

post-46876-0-11807400-1345302397_thumb.j