When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

considering to build my own Tudor Sub 79090

CPTony

I love the look of the Tudor Sub, especially the 79090 with blue dial.

Since they have not been repped, I am thinking to build one.

I believe I would need the following parts from gen/repped Rolex:

(MBW) case, perhaps from a 5513 or 1680

ETA 2783 movement

Gen 25-19 crystal

hands

crown and tube

spring bars

93150 bracelet & 580 end links

then I would need to find somewhere

- blue insert

- blue tudor dial

is this the full list or am I missing anything?

any advice about where sourcing the parts or what exactly I have to buy (ie hands, crown, tube...) is really appreciated!

I have searched in the forum but I couldn't find a lot of info as this model is not one of the most popular from Tudor.

thanks

img55996856.jpg

I can't be of too much help, as the key ingredient is the dial (which IMHO, is the best dial Rolex/Tudor produced) and mine was a gifted water-slide project from another member. However, I'm sure I've seen the dial on eBay from time to time, and well worth keeping a look for :) Other than that, I think you've hit everything on your shopping list :) Mine is essentially a 5513 case, with a self-constructed bracelet (although I prefer to wear the watch on a Tropic-style strap) with the gifted dial :)

DSCN4538.jpg

Best of luck with your project :good::drinks:

PS Don't forget a Yuki pearl, it really is the icing on the cake :victory:

Why do some of you insist on spending the same amount on a Franken that the gen would cost, I can't understand. If I wanted this watch I would buy it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1343846745/FS-+TUDOR+Submariner+79090+black+with+RSC+papers+%26amp%3B+1+year+warranty+%28reduced%29+----+USD2200

That's a black one for 2200

there's also a blue for 2200

Why do some of you insist on spending the same amount on a Franken that the gen would cost, I can't understand. If I wanted this watch I would buy it.

http://www.network54...d) ---- USD2200

That's a black one for 2200

there's also a blue for 2200

Hard to say really, some people like to try and use gen parts where possible, personally, I like to keep things as budget as possible :) My 79090 is 100% budget. Sure, the dial and movement (a21j) were gifted, but other than that, the pearl is probably the most expensive individual part (mid case doesn't really count, as the cost obviously included another dial, movement, bracelet etc :lol: ) Totally agree with your point though, if spending near gen prices, might as well just buy gen, as no matter how many gen parts get included in a franken, at the end of the day, it'll always still be 'just a fake'... :bangin:

I have the dial. We started to build it awhile back but the dial is about 1mm too small for the josh case and haven't tried it with an MBW.

Jmb at some point is going to build some sort of mount for it. These dials come up from time to time 250-350$. The inserts go for similar prices and the only blue small pearl aftermarket I know of is carried by classic watch parts. I got lucky and got my insert for 165$ and used it on my blue flake. I think you can build this watch for 1000-1200$ is you seek out deals.

85d10fb6.jpg

Why do some of you insist on spending the same amount on a Franken that the gen would cost, I can't understand.

For me there is two reasons. First of all, it's far more enjoyable building the watch and going through the agonizing process of sourcing the right parts. Secondly, I can spread the cost of the build out over several months. Sure, I could save up and just buy the gen, but to me, it's not nearly as fun. I wouldn't connect with the watch in the same way.

(MBW) case, perhaps from a 5513 or 1680

ETA 2783 movement

Gen 25-19 crystal

hands

crown and tube

spring bars

93150 bracelet & 580 end links

Been a few years since I built my franken but IIRC, it was quite pricey with gen bracelet. You might want to reconsider doing this build.

MBW Case: $200 (?)

ETA 2783 movement You need a 2824 for a 79090. $100 (?)

Gen 25-19 crystal $100

hands (if going Gen) $300

crown and tube $150

spring bars

93150 bracelet & 580 end links $800

Dial: $350

insert: $400

Total: $2400 with bracelet. $1600 without bracelet. Roughly 72% of a Gen with no bracelet. And I think i'm being conservative on some of the numbers (gen parts are fairly accurate in price if bought on the gen forums). That's a "Sorry Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." to me.

I know Red likes to build but to me a price delta of roughly 30% is not worth it. When the delta is closer to 50% is when I would consider a build with rep parts.

Been a few years since I built my franken but IIRC, it was quite pricey with gen bracelet. You might want to reconsider doing this build.

MBW Case: $200 (?)

ETA 2783 movement You need a 2824 for a 79090. $100 (?)

Gen 25-19 crystal $100

hands (if going Gen) $300

crown and tube $150

spring bars

93150 bracelet & 580 end links $800

Dial: $350

insert: $400

Total: $2400 with bracelet. $1600 without bracelet. Roughly 72% of a Gen with no bracelet. And I think i'm being conservative on some of the numbers (gen parts are fairly accurate in price if bought on the gen forums). That's a "Sorry Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." to me.

I know Red likes to build but to me a price delta of roughly 30% is not worth it. When the delta is closer to 50% is when I would consider a build with rep parts.

I see your point and I agree with you, it'd be better to go for a gen rather than spending 1500 bucks on a franken.

However, I think I was not clear enough because the only gen parts I'm thinking of are the crystal and the dial.

For the remaining rep parts i don't think I am going to spend 300$ for a pair of hands or 150 for crown and tube, perhaps I can put some rep rolex bracelet to it as I have seen the same combo on gen 79090 too.

At the end I should manage to be well under 1000$.

Edited by CPTony