When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7032 false start

red series 3

Hey guys I have been admiring your 7032's for some time and started looking for a movement.

I sourced one and thought that the case kits would always be available and waited as finances were limited at the time then the DW thing happened and I had a movement with no home. I ended up locating a case set and sent the lot for service and assembly.

It returned and I was excited as I head up to the post office spring bars and nato in hand, Wound it up strapped it on feeling chuffed after collecting it from the post office.

But soon after I looked down and the watch had stopped.

I wound it again but it only turned maybe two clicks and then slipped. I moved to the time setting location with the crown and it started again.

I set the timing hand running to see if this changed anything but after a few hours the watch stopped again. With it always being sufficiently wound. I emailed the guy that serviced the watch and have not heard back from him yet.

With the watch on for two days it stopped a total of 17 times. I started taking photos to see if there was a conceivable reason. Were the hands always in the same position. No

Could I make it happen on demand by the way the watch faced. No

Does it last the same time before stopping. No

I tried leaving the watch on the table wound but with the crown left out. To see if it was a stem length issue. But it still stopped.

The main hands appear to have good clearance. Whilst the running seconds seems to slow at certain positions it never stops in the same spot

It is about to be left on the side table as I have no confidence in the movements ability to keep going.

When this movement was in a movement holder I wound it up to see how long it ran and it went for over two days.

Any tips on how to sort this out would be appreciated. Although I think I have little to no chance that it could be something simple.

I have a wide array of tools but kind of think it shouldn't really be my problem. I wanted a reliable watch that I didn't have too much money tied up in. The biggest expense in the whole watch has been the servicing costs. With no response from the watchmaker and no reliable timekeeping to be had it is little more than an ornament for my side table

Here's a pic(bad) I call it the Aussie battler 7032

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzQtMjAxMjA4MDktMTIzMy5qcGc.jpg

Thanks for any assistance

I was about to post that all was good as I had wound the watch and worn it all day without an issue.

Then I looked down at the watch and it had stopped at 6:25 after running fine since 10am today.

I removed the sticker on the back and was able to take the caseback off with my fingers. Inside it looks normal nothing seems loose or out of place. Although there was a nice scratch that was not there when I sent the movement away. The watchmaker marked the case and the gasket had been lubed.

But I have still had no response from him since Thursday last week.

Heres a pic of the inside.

IMG00081-20120811-0811.jpg

Starting it back up just requires unscrewing the crown and moving it to the time setting position. As soon as you move the hands either forward or backwards. The movement starts running again.

I just wish the watchmaker had replied and said something like sorry mate. Pop it in the post and we'll sort it out. But he has read my message and chosen not to respond.

Edited by Red Series 3

• 4 months later...

As an update I ended up sending the watch back to the watchmaker, I got a condescending comment from him about the fact that the watch needs to be wound up. Its not automatic.

I just received it back and I still have the same issue.

This feels like it has been a 7 month exercise in futility.

With their being no outcome. I am now left with the issue of whether to send the watch to somebody else and bury more money into it or just give up.

I've emailed the watchmaker and will await his response.

Although I don't think the watch will go back to him again and I feel like trying to organise a charge back with my credit card company for the $300 USD I was charged for servicing. Not to mention the shipping costs I have spent sending it back and forth

I've never been in this situation before so any tips are appreciated.

I'm actually feeling a little bit silly, I'm starting to think that there are no internal issues.

I have a funny feeling that all of the issues are related to the crown / stem.

When I was wearing the watch I got some fogging on the inside of the crystal.

So I figured it isn't waterproof so I ended up taking the caseback off and just watched what happened when I was trying to wind the watch.

Most of the time winding the crown wouldn't turn the stem at all.

I was thinking that the watchmaker may have a setup to wind these manual watches like a long stem that sits a handle out past the tube to make it easier winding them up. so from his point of view the watch could have been performing fine but I am unable to get a full wind from the watch.

The crown was slipping at what I thought was full wind, but then I remembered that the movement didn't slip at full wind it just wouldn't wind any further.

its a rep crown / tube and I am motivated to change. Hopeful that this would sort out my problems. But I have no experience in decasing chronograph movements.

Does the chronograph gear require removal before decasing the movement?

Nothing wrong with the watch! Something's definitely wrong with the watchmaker who serviced it. A good watchmaker should have sorted out all the issues with the whole watch when he offered to service it for a fee and should give you a warranty of at least a year.

For $300 - I would expect it to be done right.....the first time! It's insane to charge you that much and end up with a paper weight! :bangin:

I ended up replacing the crown. The threads on the stem were in good order. 

The crown was supplied by the watchmaker but I suspect it is from DW although the tube for it is completely different to one on a DW daytona case set I bought.

I had to remove the movement from the case and retap the thread and fit a new tube but I had some gen 703 tubes and 1 crown in the parts draw so it was ok.

I used my basic waterproofing test which is just fitting off the case with a piece of tissue paper in place of the dial and movement and dropping it in a glass of water.

You can usually see the trail of where the water is leaking from if it leaks.

Both pushers were leaking. There were no o rings visible inside the case

Again the pushers are different to the ones in the DW daytona case I had. Although they look the same as the daytona ones externally. They are different inside and are different to the clarks and gen ones as well.

So I've got no idea if I could just buy some orings or whether I should buy some new pushers to get some o rings.

So I am starting to think the best thing to do would be to buy another case from DW off Ebay.

I'm still waiting for a reply from the watchmaker.

I'm so [censored] off because of the time frame and throughout the communication he was always there was a problem with this or that I need to wait for parts etc etc

• 1 year later...

So this has been a massive [censored] around. I never received a response from the watchmaker and contacted another watchmaker endorsed by this forum.

he received the movement told me that I needed to source another movement and try to sell this for parts. I contacted him and he told me that he has used the movement elsewhere. It is what it is.

the movement originally cost me 220 I paid 270 for it to be serviced. I paid 120 for the 45 min conversion.

do you think the watchmaker owes me something for claiming my watch movement?

He made no inference that this would ever be the case

Sounds like you are getting screwed over all the way around. I don't know what to tell you, the movement may be worn out, but the first watchmaker should have been able to see that it was not functioning properly. What does the guy who you sent it to this time say, I know he says it's not working , but why? I don't see why he can't replace the parts that are bad and make this one work. You will stil need to address the water resistance issues by either replacing the pushers, or replacing the O rings if that is the problem.

Lots of guys here have built 7032's so maybe some of them might have some thoughts as to where the problem is.