When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona pushers

dieselpower

OK folks, I'm opening a new topic aka can of worms. A while back it was generally accepted that the aftermarket pushers that Ofrei was selling for 6263 daytonas were exactly the same as the replacement pushers that Rolex themselves would put into a gen 6263. So, presumably the pushers were not actually made by Rolex but by some other outfit who supplied both Rolex and Ofrei. Well, according to LHOOQ (and I have the utmost respect for his words) the Ofrei pushers are not actually all that good. So - here's the question, when Rolex fit replacement pushers to a vintage Daytona who makes them? Who makes the Ofrei ones? Are Ofrei ones rubbish? etc etc....

As I have described in previous threads, the pushers I have received from Ofrei were exactly the same as my gen Rolex pushers (received from a Rolex watchmaker with a parts account). Remember, there are (at least) 3 different styles of screw pushers that Rolex used on Daytonas over the years & Ofrei only sells the latest/current style, which may account for the differences some have reported.

Just to clarify: I haven't had an opportunity to compare Ofrei pushers with gen. I only made a reference to chieftang's recent post in his 6265 thread:

Can't wait to get [these NOS pushers] installed. The Ofrei/Cousins pushers really are junk.

For the record, I haven't had a problem with my Ofrei pushers (functionally or visually), but chief's comment piqued my interest.

I will go out on a limb and say there is absolutely no way Rolex is OEMing the pushers that are sold at Ofrei/Cousins. There is a night and day difference, mainly in feel of the screw/unscrew and the tolerances. The gen screws and unscrews smoother (noticeably smoother) than the Cousins pushers. And the gen has less play laterally when unscrewing. This is very noticeable. It makes the gen feel solidly in place and the Cousins feel wobbly. Lastly, one of my two Ofrei/Cousins pushers has started to oxidize and is now a slight titanium looking color. This is after little more than a year. I have gen pushers on my 16520, and another pair of gen loose awaiting install on to my 6265. The ones going on the 6265 are the most recent Rolex offerings, while the ones already on my 16520 are older. So, yes, I have touched, used, felt, both extensively. :)

I stand by my statement that, in my opinion, they Cousins offerings are junk. Once I have The Zigmeister do the swap from Cousins to gen, I will send the Cousins pushers to anyone for free. Then you can tell me I'm nuts. :lol: The only hope would be that Cousins and Ofrei actually sell different pushers, and that Ofrei pushers are a world apart. I doubt it, but I've only seen/used Cousins pushers. :)

There are many rumors that have permeated the boards over the years, and have fallen flat in personal experience. I count this one among them.

1. The gen bezel fits on the XXX rep with no problem (name your rep)

2. The gen dial and chapter ring can be installed on Breitling XXX reps with no crown stem alignment issues (this one finally did come true, but was false for a long while)

2. The date wheel overlay is easy to install and will cause no problems. (name your overlay)

3. The date wheel overlays always line up in the date window on every date. (name your overlay)

4. The Cousins pushers are the same as gen pushers.

The list goes on. ;)

Sorry about the rant.........

Edited by chieftang