When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

shape a phong 6263 case to perfection?

roliroli

hi guys,

I have a new phong case and its nice but not perfect. the lugs are a bit too thick and there is too much metal at the crown side. Also the sides should be a bit more "curvy". I need somebody to reshape it and would provide pictures as an example of how it should be. Who can do this as perfect as possible? Preferrably in EU, but I would also ship to the US if necessary.

Thanks, roli

Per the investigations of Gimme and others, there are at least 3 different Phong 6263 cases available right now. Each one has a different midcase thickness and lug shape. (I think chief's is the thinnest of them.) None is identical to the gen case, in my opinion, but Phong gets much closer in many respects than DW or anyone else does.

I do like the curvature of DW's cases, but not the thickness of the midsection.

I have the same and there is a lot to improve compared to gen. My 2 old DW cases are better in terms of lug shape, but they have other flaws...

OK, back to my original question: who is able to reshape this cases?

This is my phong case, looks like maybe he does have diff ones..

Bunch of guys can do that. Depends on who you feel comfortable sending it to. Zigmeister can do it he's in canada, spinmaster can too I think, he's in Singapore. Maybe others can tell you someone in the eu who can do that. I've heard of a guy in Spain who can do it just not sure his name.

Per the investigations of Gimme and others, there are at least 3 different Phong 6263 cases available right now. Each one has a different midcase thickness and lug shape. (I think chief's is the thinnest of them.) None is identical to the gen case, in my opinion, but Phong gets much closer in many respects than DW or anyone else does.

Identical, no. But dang close. For me the most noticeable thing in pictures is the lug hole location. On the wrist... can't notice much of a difference at all though. :)

who is able to reshape this cases?

The answer is simple : Phong

Just send him a message with your concerns about your case, I bet he will work on it free of charge. After all, you have paid for a "perfect" case, right ? ;)

Can you post some pictures of your case with the year you choose for the S/N ?

Per the investigations of Gimme and others, there are at least 3 different Phong 6263 cases available right now. Each one has a different midcase thickness and lug shape. (I think chief's is the thinnest of them.)

Right, and I think I have a beginning of an explanation about that. It looks likes the thin cases are chosen for the "later" cases, when the "fat" cases are used for the earlier 6263/5's.

None is identical to the gen case

Considering most of the gen cases are polished, and polished again, the Phong's work is pretty good if you know what do you want. Not talking about the holes of the pushers / crown, they are a bit different on the gen case.

There is no such thing as a perfect 62xx Daytona case. Unless someone has a set of good, clear macro pics of a newly manufactured gen (fyi - 62xx Daytonas have not been made since the 80s), we are left to copy these watches as they look today. Since most have been polished to varying degrees by people with variable abilities & purposes, I think you have alot of latitude to play with.

What are the measurements of your case from tip to tip, chief?

Yes, Phong has at least 3 cases.

What serial number is your case roli?

Another thing to keep in mind is that most gen cases you see out there have been polished and shape has changed.

Phong cases:

IMAG0674.jpg

IMAG0681.jpg

DSCN3483.jpg

DSCN3484.jpg

DSCN3485.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the curvature of DW's cases, but not the thickness of the midsection.

M....you saw my phong case....howclosewouldyou say it is togen?

M....you saw my phong case....howclosewouldyou say it is togen?

Based on the handful of late-model 6263s I've seen? Pretty much indistinguishable.

I raised a concern earlier that the Phong-Thin might have slimmer lugs than a gen. I would have to see them side-by-side, I think.