When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how to make a watch strap?

LeSentier

Gents,

I have tried the search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I thought that there was a tutorial on RWG how you can make a leather strap by and for yourself.

the reason is, that I have access to some fine leathers like croc, ostrich, snake and some more.

I would like to build some straps by myself for my PAMs.

Some ideas?

thx, J

Great question I thought it was just me. However as mentioned there are many sources that will allow you to "piece" it together.

• 1st place to start is to YouTube Deluca Straps. He shows you in a six part series how to make a strap using an old belt.
  • The next step is to YouTube leather stitching. A favorite of mine are the ones by MaineLineIndustries.

Now that you have seen the basics go to Tandy Leather (or any local leathercrafts store) and get your tools and supplies.

My next post will show you tools you need and then the steps of making the strap.

I will use the strap I'm working on now which is only my 3rd strap ever so this will be a tutorial for beginners by a beginner and I will welcome any insight suggestions and tips from others who will surely have far more experiance than me.

As a teaser here are straps 1 & 2.

post-36085-0-86706600-1346340953_thumb.j

post-36085-0-90404500-1346340992_thumb.j

post-36085-0-95271300-1346341046_thumb.j

• Like 1

So... on to tools. First of all a disclaimer. I asked all of my artsy friends if anyone did leather work and if I could borrow some tools. I was fortunate enough to find someone who loaned me most of what I needed to get started. So no I didn't go out and buy the fancy $90 hammer you see in these pictures. But it sure is nice! Of all the tools in the box these are the tools I used.

Must Haves:

• Beveler - This will let you thin the leather where it folds over the spring bars. You will thin the leather to half its thickness, fold over and glue. Otherwise your straps will be really fat at the ends. ~ $7.
  • Adjustable Groover - This you can not do without if you want to do stitching down the sides of the strap. It will make a "track" along the edge of the leather that your stiches will sit in. This is the key to making your stiching look straight. ~ $20.
  • Lacing Chisel 4-Prong 3/32 - Use this to punch the holes for your stiching. You can use an awl but this will make it look a lot more professional if you are a beginner. ~$11.
  • Stitching Needles - $2.
  • Waxed Nylon Thread - $3.

Nice to have, but you can get by without:
    • Hole Punch Set - You will want the big one for those fat Pre-V buckles. ~ $15.
    • Edge Beveler - Use this to make the edges rounded. ~$9.
    • Edge Slicker - Use this to seal the edges of the leather. You wet the edges and rub it with the stick the heat and moisture seal the leather fibers. ~$15.

Other Items You will need:

[*]Box Knife - (with a brand new blade). - To cut the leather.

[*]Metal Ruler - To measure your 24mm width and length and to use as a cutting guide.

[*]Hammer (with soft head) - To hit your Lacing Chisel, the soft head will keep you from mushrooming your lacing chisel.)

[*]Glue - Tandy has a new leather glue that works like Elmers (dries clear).

[*]Cutting surface / Pounding surface.

post-36085-0-33990900-1346342129_thumb.j

post-36085-0-78907300-1346342179.jpg

post-36085-0-23091200-1346342190_thumb.j

post-36085-0-99330700-1346342207.jpg

Edited by shacomm
  • Like 1

So here I go...

I'm making a basic vintage strap. I'm starting with a $2 belt from the Goodwill. Thi is verified vintage as "Bob" made it for his "Camporee" in "78"

Step 1 - Cut the leather to length and width using a razor knife and metal ruler. The length should include an extra 1" on the short (buckle) side and an extra 1/2" on the long side. This will be used to fold over.

Step 2 -Use your adjustable groover to make groves on each side that will hold your stitching. This grove gives your stiches a plave to sit and helps you keep your stitches straight.

post-36085-0-93445000-1346689296_thumb.j

post-36085-0-24922700-1346689319_thumb.j

post-36085-0-90216300-1346689462_thumb.j

Edited by shacomm

STEP 3 - Turn your straps over and you will "Skive" the leather which will thin the ends to half the width. This will allow you to fold the ends over making loops for the buckle and springbars.

STEP 4 - Glue the edges and clamp and let dry.

Next up we will burnish the sides and do the stiching.

post-36085-0-79298500-1346689664_thumb.j

post-36085-0-18170200-1346689875_thumb.j

post-36085-0-27497300-1346689950_thumb.j

Edited by shacomm

Nice vintage tools!

yeah - they were from my grandpa - received them from my father today, and there were all necessary tools like needles, groover and so on...

got some red scotch-grain leather, green alligator, black/brow python and other other nice stuff..

waiting for bad weather to start something :)

Not quite a watch strap, and only pleather, but this is my attempt at a wrist-strap :) Still needs a covering flap, but as it's actually quite uncomfortable to wear, I've been in no hurry to do that :lol:

DSCN4705.jpg

DSCN4706.jpg

Roman Gladiator watch band? Dude that Is just plain old bad ass. I didn't even know they had watches back then. :D. I guess they did have those wrist sun dials. :drinks:

Love It.:)

Roman Gladiator watch band? Dude that Is just plain old bad ass. I didn't even know they had watches back then. :D. I guess they did have those wrist sun dials. :drinks:

Love It. :)

Thanks, bro :good::drinks: It's a custom iPod holder based on a 51st Century vortex manipulator.

Jacks_vorex_manipulator.jpg

I wanted it made in leather, but couldn't afford it, so wound up making it from pleather... The pleather is hot and uncomfortable to wear, and the weight pulls it down onto the back of my hand (two straps would be more effective, but I wanted to keep it as close to the original prop as possible :D ) so it just sits on top of my speaker dock with the aux cable plugged in :bangin:

Thanks, bro :good::drinks: It's a custom iPod holder based on a 51st Century vortex manipulator.

Jacks_vorex_manipulator.jpg

I wanted it made in leather, but couldn't afford it, so wound up making it from pleather... The pleather is hot and uncomfortable to wear, and the weight pulls it down onto the back of my hand (two straps would be more effective, but I wanted to keep it as close to the original prop as possible :D ) so it just sits on top of my speaker dock with the aux cable plugged in :bangin:

It may be uncomfortable due to the pleather...but It sure looks cool. Kind of reminds me of some of those bund straps. I have to admit...some of them look quite nice. :)

I would have no problem wearing one of these....especially with that watch.:D

post-19368-0-65894200-1346794098_thumb.j

It may be uncomfortable due to the pleather...but It sure looks cool. Kind of reminds me of some of those bund straps. I have to admit...some of them look quite nice. :)

I would have no problem wearing one of these....especially with that watch. :D

Yeah, I think the pleather is definitely the issue with the heat, but the weight of the iPod is too much for the single strap, so it's not really a practical wearer (even if it did have the cover flap in place to protect everything) but it was a fun project to do :lol: That Daytona and bund is a sweet combo, bro :good::drinks:

Yeah, I think the pleather is definitely the issue with the heat, but the weight of the iPod is too much for the single strap, so it's not really a practical wearer (even if it did have the cover flap in place to protect everything) but it was a fun project to do :lol: That Daytona and bund is a sweet combo, bro :good::drinks:

I can see where the weight of the Ipod could become a issue. But you had fun and the experence never hurts. :drinks: