When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how to make a watch strap?

LeSentier

I can see where the weight of the Ipod could become a issue. But you had fun and the experence never hurts. :drinks:

I think that straps at either end of the cuff would provide the proper support, but I wanted to get it as close to the original prop as possible, but with the functional iPod :) But absolutely, it was definitely good experience :good::drinks:

Dude they make smaller Ipods! LoL

I know, but the 2nd gen Nano was the closest in appearance to the original prop :) I wanted to try and recreate the look of the original prop, but with something functional and wearable inside, rather than just a light up toy :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Next is the sewing. Wax the thread, thread the needles and sew it while watching tv. Every time I do one of these I learn a little more.

post-36085-0-26462700-1348437725_thumb.j

On this strap I tried a new type of thread. My leather store was out Black of waxed cord so the guy working there suggested I try embroidery thread. I bought some black embroidery thread from the local craft store. After sewing these... I was not happy with the weight of the thread (too light) so next week I will be removing the stitching and getting a heavier cord. This is how you learn...

post-36085-0-00000600-1348437738_thumb.j

So on to finishing the strap. Use the edge tool to take the corners off the top and bottom of each side of the strap.

post-36085-0-31769400-1348438258_thumb.j

Take your edge tool, wet the edges of the leather and rub back and forth vigorously to heat and seal the edges.

post-36085-0-74970200-1348438284_thumb.j

It's looking good but it needs some stitching weight. Maybe this thread would work on a dress watch strap with smaller stitch spacing. Again any suggestions or insight from the professionals is welcome!

• Like 2