When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case for 27mm Dial

Stimpythecat

I have a Comex rep dial with a diameter of 27mm. Where can I get a vintage type case, preferably a Sea Dweller but a sub will do,that has a rehaut opening that will work with this dial. I think a Yuki case would work but I am looking for something with a lower price point. Also info on sourcing a Comex engraved case back would be appreciated.

Yep, sounds like a rep dial. A gen 1680 dial is 26.5mm and a 5513 is maybe 26.2mm or less. A 1665 dial would be some where in that range. So then you're looking at a rep case, I guess.

Maybe you buy a cheap Josh type 5513 and see if you can make it work- or just go with a new rep- sometimes you can't win....

You might be able to find one of the old 'Paul/Abay' 5514 comex cases from 5 or 7 years ago. The dial window is 25.95 (looking down at the outside of the case) and inside the case, the dial seat is cut big enough to take a dial up to about 29.2mm.

Drawbacks:

You can not enlarge the dial window much at all because the case neck will be too thin.

If you use a large diameter dial (much over 27mm) you may shroud part of the markers.

It came with a 'K Mart' bezel set-up and you will need to use a Clark's etc bezel assembly on it (mine came with the crystal glued to the case and a spring wire retainer type rotating bezel stuck down over the crystal...no crystal retainer ring etc).

Pluses:

It has a 'working' escape valve.

They are fairly cheap when you find one (except the 'working' escape valve tends to pump the price up).

The case neck will work with a genuine spec 5513 crystal.

The case is threaded for a genuine case tube.

Afaik they all had the '729' comex signed caseback. The caseback gasket is in the mid case, not the caseback like genuine but for the $$ it is a pretty good case.

I got it during one of Paul's "Crazy Sales!!"

You might check his site- they probably are still available. I bought this one 5-6 years ago- it's a 5513 case

W2089.jpg

I put an aftermarket dial in it, it's the one on the left in the pic below

P1000193-1.jpg

The one on the right is Paul's DRSD with the working HE valve- I got rid of that case and used the Swiss eta in another build- a 16660.