When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Relume Attempt

rmcsherry

Ok, so this probably wasn't the easiest watch to relume for a first time, but it was the only one I wasn't worried about messing up. This is a black PO from Cony512 - it's an Asian 21J, it's actually keeping very good time and it's reliable despite it's cosmetic flaws!

Here's the watch before I started, the standard lume wasn't that bad - but at the same time, it wasn't that good...

148803-15210.jpg

The one thing that I really hated about this watch was the pearl. So I attacked it with a pin, here's the result:

148803-15211.jpg

Once the old lume was out, I carefully placed a 'blob' of lume in the container and waited for it to set. I then added another layer whilst I was luming the hands. I had to put about 4 coats of Humbrol Gloss Cote on the pearl to protect it, the lume seems fairly delicate and the varnish also seems to make it appear smoother. (The photo was taken before the varnish was added).

148803-15212.jpg

And here's the final shot. There's no Photoshop involved and I tried to keep the exposure time down to give an 'honest' indication of what the lume is like.

148803-15213.jpg

It's far from perfect, and the hour markers were such a pain that I don't really want to have to add a second coat! Any feedback would be appreciated, including ways to improve my lume technique - I assume it's good practice to add a second or third layer of C3 to improve consistency and longevity of the glow? The more I wear this watch, the more I want to get rid of it and find a Moon Watch - odd, as two months ago I couldn't stand Omega's!

I appreciate the comments, not quite up to your standards though, The Zigmeister - maybe one day?! I wouldn't want to get into modding other peoples watches - especially not until I was confident with what I was doing. If you offer a professional service you become personally liable for damage (which is very easily done with watches, as I'm sure we've all found the hard way!). I've relumed 3 Panerai's, one in a vintage lume - I'll try to get some pictures this week.

I want to relume my watch, but i have never opened up a watch before.

I opened up the back and have no clue on how to take off the crown. I can see it looks like its scrwed in? Do it just twsit it out?

and would you use the smallest brush you can find? Also i would think, taping off surfaces is a no no?

I want to relume my watch, but i have never opened up a watch before.

I opened up the back and have no clue on how to take off the crown. I can see it looks like its scrwed in? Do it just twsit it out?

and would you use the smallest brush you can find? Also i would think, taping off surfaces is a no no?

I have the exact same questions.

Any answers?

To remove the crown, (depending on if it's ETA or Asian) you press the small button next to the stem or untighten the screw and release the crown. The dial and movement then pop out easy enough. I removed the existing lume on the hands with pegwood, and repainted them using a 'blob' of lume on a jewellers screwdriver. The markers were painted using a very fine brush - I didn't tape any surfaces off, this is a pointless task (you'll never mask it well enough to have sharp edges) - any lume that went onto the edges was gently removed with a clean stanley-blade - with hardly any pressure, to avoid scratches! I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but we all have to start somewhere. :D