When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lost item

dcrooz

Hi All, need some advice please. I've been around these forums for quite a few years, and bought watches from almost all of the dealers, plus numerous transactions with fellow members. Had some niggles, faulty watches etc but everything was always sorted out without too many issues.

Recently I bought an item from one of our larger and better known dealers (who I've dealt with several times over the years) and had to return it as it was faulty. 2 months after sending the watch back to him (and me chasing him for confirmation that he'd received) he tells me that the item was returned because I failed to put a phone number on the package.

So I call the Royal Mail with the tracking number and they tell me that it's possible that it's being held somewhere and to stand any chance of finding it I need to fill out this form from the Royal Mail.

Has anyone else had to do this? If the item is found and discovered to be counterfeit goods are there any repercussions? I probably sound somewhat naive, but have never encountered this situation before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not in UK but I've had similar problems with PC a couple of times when more than a month after sending he said he never got it. But both times it actually showed up and was fixed and returned. Once was over two months and once he said had to send the watch back to Taiwan for repair after he got it and that took over four months. I had pretty much forgotten about it when it showed up in my mailbox. If it's Josh, I think the right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing in his organization.

Funny thing is I did send it 'international signed for' with tracking number etc on 2nd August. The tracking states the following:

Your item, posted on 02/08/12 with reference RJ910692637GB has arrived in BEIJING CHINA and is being processed for delivery.

So, I'm not sure how to proceed. I want my watch, or a reimbursement, and I'm not so keen to go through the Royal Mail partly because I don't think they'll find it anyway, but also as I don't want any 'counterfeit goods' issues.

Not much you can do at this point but wait and see what happens. You realize that reps coming into China get confiscated more often than those leaving.

I doubt that the dealer will do much until it's sorted out with the post office. I don't think filling out a form is any more of a risk than ordering it originally. They obviously need that information to trace the package. Just say wrist watch or costume jewelry on the form if it's asked.

Sorry, I'm clearly paranoid about this!

Any idea what happens in the event it's been seized in China? I guess it already has my name and address linked to it so if there were any repercussions I would have had them by now.

Unfortunately laws in Europe are quite heterogenous. The worst thing that can happen here in Germany is that they would seize the watch and that's that. In Germany there is no law against the posession or mailing of counterfeits. What is prohibited is dealing with counterfeit goods. Plus any counterfeit goods that are in transit of a dealing process (which your watch obvously is) can be seized. So unless they find some phoney construction that makes you a dealer the worst that can happen is that customs seize the watch. Having said that, other countries even in the EU have completely different laws. E.g. in Italy posession of counterfeit goods is prohibited and can be fined with up to 10.000 €. Long story short, I am afraid I can't help. :-)