When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think about this Tudor snowflake dial?

Guest al12

Minutes hand should be ever so slightly narrower than in Phong's picture. The long tail on the seconds hand is good.

I'd like to see a photo of those hands installed to a movement wearing that dial. Then we could tell better.

The "hooked over" 6s in the depth are correct but the spacing is slightly too close together. All in all a darn good dial. Leap years better than Yuki's.

Another comparison for you, notice how mine looks "less bold" than TMG's does in the sheild and fonts. Both are gen.

post-32-0-09171500-1353351961_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help. Yes, Phong will change the lume on the dial and hands to be a little whiter (I like the look of the dial on your gen). What are my better option for the handset though?

Thanks

al12, I have a pair of the vintage tone Classic Watch Parts hands that I think are the best aftermarket out there. They were mounted on my Gen until I found an old tritium set to repalce them -excellent conditon, PM me if you're interested. Below is a shot of the hands mounted, you can see they're very close to my tritium dial.

DSCN5073.jpg

• Like 1

When I first hearkened to the Call of the 'Flake, the Yuki parts were fine. After a year of wearing it and looking at photos of gens, they became *cough* less fine.

By then I could tell at a glance they were aftermarket parts. Arms length. It's pretty stark when you get used to how they're supposed to look.

A gen dial can be had for not a lot more than a Yuki, but try to get a 9401/9411 (newer) dial. Mine is a 7016 "leprosy" dial, known for falling apart and blistering and flaking off pieces. The newer generation dials are much more stable.

Like the man said above, the CWP hands are pretty good. I've written a couple explanations here about how the geometry of the hands is supposed to interact with the dial markers, to know they hands are the correct lengths.

Bottom line: build up a nice Yuki, enjoy it, in a year sell it along and use those funds to get more accurate parts.

Hmmmmm. Tell me about the OYSTER-hyphen-DATE dial?

I remember reading something about that years ago. :g:

Totally missed the hyphen. Could not find any OEM dials with the hyphen in the dial. Did Tudor made those king of dials???