When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How good are nowadays reps?

d4v1d

So I went to my local watchsmith to get something smalls done and he noticed that my IWC Top Gun was a fake when he looked at the movement. No problem for him but he just couldn't give me any warranty on his work.

I'm wondering if there are any replica watches that can even fool a watchsmith? What are the tells for a watchsmith that's it's a replica? Is it the quality and finish of the movement or more?

Edited by d4v1d

You would need a same as gen movement to fool a watchsmith

If your iwc rep had a gen iwc movement which many people have done as partial or full franken builds 4 things would have happened

1. Your watchsmith would likeky think the entire watch was gen

2. He would have warrantied his work

3. He would have charged you triple

4. You would not have to bring your iwc movement for him to work on cause nothing would be wring with it

For some watches a Swiss eta movement would be the same as the gen uses so could fool a watchsmith, it all depends on the brand and the model

There are some reps out now that are very very good. If someone's going to try to convince a watchmaker that Is's a gen.....good luck. But on your wrist In everyday situations....not going to be a problem. Check out some of the newer Pams and the Breitling Seawolf to get some Ideas.

Mike

Guest Watchgeek

I've got a few watches I think would fool a watch smith unopened but opened a different story maybe an omega copy I have with a full marked omega eta movement also got some quartz watches with eta movements as genuine , they would be hard to spot as movements are right but as for automatics you would need a top spec panerai I think to fool a watchmaker or a franken .