When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kinda Bummed

jtiis

So, I sold my PAM 027a and told the patient buyer that I'd like to have the timing checked on her before sending her out (I'd done the pressure test and forgot to check the timing... duh!).

Well, my smithys' been crazy busy with his kid doing the SAT (he's Asia so you know how important that is ... if you know Asian families at all)... Anyhooo, so after a few days delay I finally get down to him (in San Jose). He'd seem my 3717 I bought which was all gen but for an ETA 7750. Now, I'd had him test it's timing before and it was great 1-2 sec/day. I was pleased as pie. BUT just from handling it he told me "somethin's loose in there". Well, I was in a rush and it was running great so I said - let check it out later.

Well, tonight was my "later" - so he opened her up. After a minute he said, we'll she may be running good but she's not ETA 7750. Got a Chinese in here. Sure enough - this what we should have seen (look at your red jewel bloc):

7750.jpg

And this is what was there:

3717up.jpg

Darn!

I don't know if toto on RepGeek knew it our not. I just wrote him tonight to let him know. I bought it - I don't know how long ago ... maybe 3 months or something... so that's what it is... but when a watch seems to be running well you don't want to open it up just for the heck of it. His shots of the watch showed the movement - but NOT the tell-tale part (at least not tell-tale to me). Maybe there are some markings that show on his movment (a scratch or something) that would prove its the same movement - but so what... I doubt he'll do anything financially back my way (I'm not looking to return the watch... I love it but for this). And, the 3717 I sold to somemone else (in Europe) as this one was coming - turned out to have more issues that I knew about so I return him $100... so, I'm out on both ends.

Hmmm - guess good, honest sales are hard to come by.

Live ... shake your head... and learn...

OK - need some help from people wiser than me here.

Got a nice email back from the seller (and I do mean nice...not being sarcastic here) - and he says this is SURELY Swiss... he bought it from Domi for 400 Euro etc. Now I don't know Domi - but I've only heard good things so I'd expect that side is tried and true...

He (the seller) does seem on the up and up to me (great communication) ... but ... my new smith has all kinds of training and has been doing every watch under the sun for a couple decades... his shop is full of Rollies, Blacpains and the like. Just finished I big job on a very early Daytonna I'd kill for... custome makes parts for movements too...

So, (and sorry the pic isn't better) - CAN this be Swiss? Could the jewel holder have been changed but the rest all be Swiss? I'm at a loss.

She's keeping GREAT time (1-2 secs still)... just would really like to know FOR SURE there Swiss... for me... and - shudder the thought - for a future buyer...

All insightful feedback welcome!

Cheers.

The rotor is know to be IWC rep. As that clips some portion of the movement I will get that replaced.

My thoughts are about the rest of the movement.

Haven't seen a clip like that on the one jewel...

Photos from sales thread:

post-12738-0-87941900-1354611553_thumb.j

post-12738-0-49944600-1354611567_thumb.j

Looks like a standard grade ETA to me - however I do agree that the "jewel holder" looks a bit strange/ unusual. Maybe there has been different ETA versions of it? Because it does not look like the ones on my spare A7750's in my parts box:

a7750s.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what kind of issues were there with your old 3717 (which I assume was the modded v1 you bought from me)? My experience was that it had one of the smooth running movements I have ever had. More accurate than my current gen ETA 7750's - either brand new or freshly serviced. But I guess a lot of things can happen with automatic movements over time..