When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ticking noise...

markiemark

When I shake my 3717 to wind it, I hear a ticking noise like something is loose.

I assumed it was the rotor, and I thought well, even though I never opened a watch in my entire life before I know how to fasten a little screw!
So as I opened the caseback with my bare hands I felt like a surgeon. I fantasized about gushing blood and holding a beating heart.
After I snapped back into the real world I noticed it wasn't a loose rotor, It's the 'magnetic shield' that has space to move around and creating the ticking noise.

Is there any way to prevent this ticking noise from happening (without removing the magnetic shield)? Is there a rubber ring missing or something? Please advise...

I've got the same issue with an IWC Spitfire Chrono. As a temporary fix, placed a small dental rubber band from the kids braces between the caseback and mag shield. The caseback compress the band and keeps the mag cover from moving. Would not recommend this as a long term fix as the rubber will eventually start to break down. A small dab of silicon would accomplish the same and still be easy to remove. Hopefully the new movement holder and mag shield which are on their way will fix the problem properly.

I've got the same issue with an IWC Spitfire Chrono. As a temporary fix, placed a small dental rubber band from the kids braces between the caseback and mag shield. The caseback compress the band and keeps the mag cover from moving. Would not recommend this as a long term fix as the rubber will eventually start to break down. A small dab of silicon would accomplish the same and still be easy to remove. Hopefully the new movement holder and mag shield which are on their way will fix the problem properly.

Ok.. so this is a common issue, I thought I was the only one around here with a missing washer/ring/rubber-something

• 3 weeks later...