When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mbw 1665 gasket missing

fitch

Hi guys,

a quick question; I wanted to change the plexi on my MBW 1665 and in the process of removing the old plexi I noticed the gasket was missing (go figure..) I searched my toolbox but unfortunatly I'm out so I was wundering if anybody perhaps has a spare gasket they can miss..?

It would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

Fitch

I had my vintage MBW 1665 apart a zillion times and never had the gasket that goes beneath the crystal retaining ring, into the groove in the case.

I just smeared a thin film of vaseline on the outside of the rehaut and pushed the crystal down, twisting it a little, making sure the vaseline squirted out evenly all the way around.  Then I smeared some on the outside of the crystal "wall" and the inside of the retaining ring, and pressed the ring down snug.  Of course I never went very deep with it, certainly not more than 100 feet, but it never leaked a drop.

Moral of the story:  you might not need that gasket.  Plus with the world ending in 3 more days...  just sayin' ........  :whistling:

No mbw that I have worked on has had that gasket fitted from the factory

It was Maria's quirky personality at play.  Or his cheapskate business model?  :g:

I have a tube of silicon sealant coming my way; shouldn't that do the trick as well?

Ummmmmmmm.... do you ever want to get the crystal off again?   :acute: