When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building my first watch. Need to know where to get a movement

DeeCee

I have a DG ETA 2824-2 that is coming out of my Bond Rolex Sub shortly as I have bought a new Swiss ETA. I do not know about the date wheel yet as it has a dial less face. I also have a set of new Snowflake hands for sale. Th enew Swiss ETA has a date wheel that I am happy not to keep. The movement feels very strong and has over 40 hrs of power reserve and keeps perfect time.

Regards

Astonjenks

The Case the new ETA is going into is a Raffles 38.5mm, is that the same size as your case?

The new movement is specifiaclly for this build and I am removing the DG movement which is I believe the same size as the ETA 2824, i just do not know yet if it has a date wheel until i remove it to replace it. I will keep you posted.

The new ETA is about $175 which i thought was an okay price?

Regards

Astonjenks

The seagul come (st2130 iir) will match a 2824 Available new on the bay also

Thanks Mellons, I will have to check out that movement. Is it a model match? I know that if you are putting a watch together every mm counts. btw what does iir mean?

The date-at-6 and date-at-3 movements are identical. All that differs is the printing of the datewheel itself.

Thanks Sneed, do they make a seperate date wheel for the 2824 that I can swap out?

You could try Cousins UK. Make sure to go with traceable shipping though, my last order from them never showed up and they claim no responsibility as I went with standard shipping. Could you use an SW200? Ofrei should have them in stock.

Thanks, Ill have to check that out. I am not sure if the SW200 will fit.

Here is and exerpt from a WUS thread comparing the SW200 to the ETA 2824. As you can see below, they are the same movement, both Swiss made. Quite a few of the smaller watchmakers are using Sellita movements in their watches, fully anticipating the day when Swatch Group will finally not sell ETA movements outside of the group.

Having said that, when you see the Sellita SW200 movement in a watch, it is the same movement as an ETA 2824-2. The reason watch makers are using Sellita movements, is not so much about cost, but more having to do with the fact that ETA is slowing down production and will cease to provide movements to watch makers outside the Swatch Group in 2010. So because ETA movements are harder to get, watch makers will use an ETA or Sellita movement depending on what they are able to acquire in time to put the watches together.

panerai, thanks for the info. I will check that out for sure.

Do you know if there is a difference between the 2824 and 2824-2?

I keep seeing both pop up on my searches for that movement. The person who sold me the case said that it is for 2824 and not 2824-2.

Do you know if there is a difference between the 2824 and 2824-2?

I keep seeing both pop up on my searches for that movement. The person who sold me the case said that it is for 2824 and not 2824-2.

Well that person is an idiot.

There are differences, but they are tiny. Any 2824 will swap with any 2824-2 and vice versa. All external dimensions are exactly the same.

Thanks Sneed, do they make a seperate date wheel for the 2824 that I can swap out?

Yes.