When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement spring bar for tag carrera

breezethrusd

I purchased the following carrera from michelle at silix: product code is TAGS012

I love this watch and it has served me well over the past year.  Unfortunately, the spring bar on the strap broke.  Im not sure what size spring bar I need to purchase as a replacement.  I've searched the forums and I see that some people have size discrepencies when ordering a new spring bar.  Im wondering what the best route to go is.  Also, is there a reputable source where I could purchase a new spring bar?  Thanks in advance!

post-43959-0-76815800-1357190174_thumb.j

post-43959-0-22043800-1357190182_thumb.j

post-43959-0-48645300-1357190276_thumb.j

post-43959-0-54259500-1357190282_thumb.j

Pretty sure these are 20mm * 1.8mm but it's been a while since I had one of these  :g: try to measure between the lugs if you can that would be easiest way, good luck getting the rubber strap back on too !  

Thoughts on purchasing this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/360Pcs-Watch-Band-Spring-Bars-Strap-Link-Pins-Bar-Remover-Repair-Tools-Stainless-/230904724119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c2fe7a97

Whether its 20 or 21 Im sure I will have plenty of parts to spare lol.  But is the diameter on these is 1.5mm.

Also, you mention getting the rubber strap on is difficult?  Even with the proper tool?

Thoughts on purchasing this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/360Pcs-Watch-Band-Spring-Bars-Strap-Link-Pins-Bar-Remover-Repair-Tools-Stainless-/230904724119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c2fe7a97

Whether its 20 or 21 Im sure I will have plenty of parts to spare lol.  But is the diameter on these is 1.5mm.

Also, you mention getting the rubber strap on is difficult?  Even with the proper tool?

That's looks like a great value pack breeze  ;) should cover you easy for what you need! When I did mine I struggled like mad to get the rubber strap on  :fool:  in the end I put the strap in warm water, springbar in the strap and then fitted it at a 90* angle to the case, as I turned the strap the right way to the case it slipped back in easy as  :inverted:  not sure if you will need to do it the same but it was a VERY tight fit ..

Have the same watch....same issue, keep bending spring bars....

Is there an option for original equipment tag heuer bars that are stronger?? I have a gen Tag heuer watch and still haven't been through a the original set of spring bars, and i have given that watch hell....

So what options do we have??

Thanks in advance for answers .....

Winno

Winno,

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. What diameter spring bars have you been using as replacements? If this is a common problem, perhaps we are better off going with thicker diameters. Does anyone know the maximum diameter that will fit?

The last thing I want is to lose my watch due to a cheap spring bar!

I found a 2mm diameter set that looks a bit sturdier http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251119849536&index=23&nav=SEARCH&nid=04142023616

There are also 2.5mm sets available.

Thanks Mr Breeze...

Is there anywhere online to buy the genuine bars for the cv2014? Or does Tag even limit the sale of these? /bonkers...

Thanks again for all responses

Winno

• 5 weeks later...

"Have the same watch....same issue, keep bending spring bars....Is there an option for original equipment tag heuer bars that are stronger?? I have a gen Tag heuer watch and still haven't been through a the original set of spring bars, and i have given that watch hell....So what options do we have??"

Make sure the replacement springbars are stainless steel, not plated brass like supplied in a lot of replicas.

If it is 20mm between lugs...one cheap fix is to use late model swiss made generic springbars for late model blind lug hole submariners...they are strong enough to last.

There is always a catch...if the strap is loose between the lugs or made of soft rubber, the springbars can pop out once in a while because the strap can get pulled over to one side and lever the springbar out when it straightens up. This can happen when the watch is worn tight and shoved/pulled up or down on the wrist with enough force to pull the springbar out of the hole in a lug.

This is one very good reason to have holes all the way through dive watch lugs and springbars that 'zero out' between the lugs like vintage submariners, GMT, Exp II, 1016 etc.

I have a few genuine T/H and they all have 20mm lug spaces and use single shoulder springbars with 1.8mm center tubes. The only difference from a standard single or double shoulder generic 1.8mm springbar is the tips are a little bit longer where they fit into the lug holes. They must be pretty tough as one of the watches is an old black coated T/H 1000 with half of the black finish worn off the bracelet and case with the MG crystal scratched like an old Coke bottle. Knowing the guy I got it from, I doubt it has ever seen the inside of a repair shop except for batt changes now and then...the springbars were Ok though.

O/T...

I felt sorry for the T/H 1000 and recently took it apart and bead blasted the case along with a fresh jubilee type steel bracelet, installed a new crystal, springbars/gaskets and it looks good again. I used generic springbars made for a late model blind lug hole DJ. 

I taped over the goldtone rotating bezel and used a dummy crown while blasting the case so the bezel and crown are still goldtone along with the hands and wrting on the dial.

It sorta has a 'stealth' appearance now. :ph34r: