When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ceramic bezel paint mod.

dbane883

Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions. I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt. After trying out several different paints, I ended up using Tamiya Titanium Silver model paint. Very gen-like IMO. post-48564-135785774073.jpg This was the before: post-48564-135785776955.jpg I stripped the paint off first with acetone and put on a thin layer of Tamiya flat white as a base/primer. Then layered on 3 thin coats of the plat paint (diluted a touch with thinner).

I thought it had some "sparkle ". i wonder if you could use some of the metallic auto paints. My new Ford F-150 is "platinum white, really white, but it has the metallic stuff that makes it look completely different from the regular White paint. If you could find a more silver metallic, I wonder if it would emulate the "Sparkle" of Platinum dust. Of course you could probably get some Platinum dust and make your own!! 

Yeah. Will never be a true (1:1!) match no matter how hard we try. But at least the bezel paint is no longer the mist obvious flaw. Gotta replace that hideous pearl now! But this V2 sa3135 sub c really is tremendous out of the box. Need to shave down the CGs a touch and I think it's good to go.

Looks good mate! What method did you used to get the insert off?
I actually left the insert on. I took the pearl of by heating it with my soldering iron. I was going to get my paint stripping heat gun out to pry the insert off, but felt it wasn't required for the painting. Used a very fine point artist brush which avoided the need to remove the insert. It may be possible to scrape away the sides of the channels using an exacto knife. I may try that one day.

BTW if you look really close at the pic of the gen GMT bezel you can see another "hard to copy" feat.

The platinum paint is not on the edges of the markings and numbers.. Only at the bottom..

How the hell do they manage to do that I ask myself

The genuine bezel inserts are not painted. They are entirely plated in platinum metal, and then run past buffing wheels which remove all the platinum metal except what is deep inside the sunken numerals.

Nice job, I've done a few inserts one of the last I sold to DCpark.

When PBdad had my watch he asked what did I use for the paint mod as he had Blue Rockets DSSD gen insert in hand and said the paint mod was as close to gen as he's ever seen.

This is a tricky mod to get right, if you look at the gen texture its almost a sandblasted look with a sparkle effect as we all know. I used touch up paint to do my mods personally, I used two Acura colors in a White Diamond Pearl and a Platinum Metallic, mix the two parts 60 PM/40 WDP and apply with the supplied touch up brush that has been cleaned before use. Be sure to apply in a smooth motion to keep the paint from clumping up, and dont use too much.

Just a fine layer so the paint sits low inside the engraving, and then place the insert in the microwave for two minutes and then remove the excess with a razor blade.