When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your thoughts on Paul Newman Cosmographs

buffedupboy

Hi All,

The daytona bug has bit, and I'm looking at some of these:

http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=7592

http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=9581

I'm just not sure how accurate these are. Also the non working subdial at 6 is bugging me. Why can't they get a movement that has a working 6 subdial?

Thanks in advance.

The Paul Newman Daytona is a seconds at 9 watch plus I'd avoid it as anyone who knows rolex will tell you it's worth 30k-100k and you'd have to definitely look like you can back up that type of watch :) if so then wear it in good health

Hey, I definitely have the look to back it up! lol..... yes it's a sec. at 9, but that doesn't explain why they have a non working subdial at 6?

It's mostly because it's one of the most reliable chrono movements and it's a hand wind lust like the original, therefore thinner than the 7750s. I don't know if it'a any closer to gen reference the sub dials than a 7750 but you can't fit a 7750 into a gen size case without taking off the rotor.

I wouldn't worry so much about it. I'd just wear it and enjoy it. When you start playing with chronos setting and resetting...that's when our lovely modders start seeing our business ;)

I think it's always going to bug me because I will keep looking at it thinking, why is that needle fixed when there is a perfectly working movement that does not need to do that. UNLESS I know, ah because the rep movement is trying to replicate the gen dial layout etc. It's just one of those back of your mind things.

I think it's always going to bug me because I will keep looking at it thinking, why is that needle fixed when there is a perfectly working movement that does not need to do that. UNLESS I know, ah because the rep movement is trying to replicate the gen dial layout etc. It's just one of those back of your mind things.

Whether you spend $268 or $2680, there's always going to be something that bugs you.

The silly thing is that the Daytona reps with SeaGull (aka Venus aka Lemania) movements don't even properly replicate the subdial spacing of a Valjoux 72.  Unless you use ChiMan's clever-but-not-so-easy mod, the hour counter will be lower than on the gen. 

Whether you spend $268 or $2680, there's always going to be something that bugs you.

The silly thing is that the Daytona reps with SeaGull (aka Venus aka Lemania) movements don't even properly replicate the subdial spacing of a Valjoux 72.  Unless you use ChiMan's clever-but-not-so-easy mod, the hour counter will be lower than on the gen. 

The ChiMan's method just sounds like putting a skirt on a pig (no offense to anyone intended). It does look much better with the new dial, but it still doesn't have a working subdial. The idea of buying one from DW makes sense. But then, it doesn't look like the pushers are offset like the gen....

I won't recommend buying from DW right now.....I just got 3 of his watches and they all are nightmares! Not unless you know how to work on watches....then go ahead.

PM Spinmaster and see if he's got one available? It's a little more, but worth it. Best option is watch the FS Section, these model pops up once-in-awhile!

Good luck!

I won't recommend buying from DW right now.....I just got 3 of his watches and they all are nightmares! Not unless you know how to work on watches....then go ahead.

PM Spinmaster and see if he's got one available? It's a little more, but worth it. Best option is watch the FS Section, these model pops up once-in-awhile!

Shame that he's regressing to his bad old self.  At least you were able to get that Clapton albino from him.  What a beauty!

+1 on the Spinmaster recommendation, unless you have access to a skilled watchsmith or are one yourself.  Expect to pay $500-700 for a modded and serviced A7750 in a pretty convincing DW Daytona.  The next step up will realistically cost about $1500-2000, minimum.  Unfortunately, Spin can often be hard to reach, and is often imagined to be a Howard Hughes-like recluse. 

Shame that he's regressing to his bad old self.  At least you were able to get that Clapton albino from him.  What a beauty!

+1 on the Spinmaster recommendation, unless you have access to a skilled watchsmith or are one yourself.  Expect to pay $500-700 for a modded and serviced A7750 in a pretty convincing DW Daytona.  The next step up will realistically cost about $1500-2000, minimum.  Unfortunately, Spin can often be hard to reach, and is often imagined to be a Howard Hughes-like recluse. 

I almost send it back....if not for the dial. Lot's of work I put on this baby......and the dawg vly came up with the best part!

Spin is easy to get in touch with.......for me anyway!

+1 on Spin for a "budget" but convincing quality manual Daytona :-)

With gen crown, tube, and plexiglass, you have something truly good for less than 1000eur

IMHO, the cartels reps are a bunch of s**t.

If you want better than Spin, expect to pay at least 4 or 5x more (at least...), and don't be afraid to loose your hair :-)))))))