When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of getting 6538 case, who can do the waterproofing?

ck5533

Fellows,

I am thinking of getting a 6538 case from either Yuki or NDT, both do not offer/garantee the case will be water tighted!

I wonder who has used their cases and have the case waterproofed and by whom?

If so, who should I send the case to and what's cost likes?

Not meant for deep diving but for swimming & showering purposes only.

Thanks for looking.

ck

Edited by ck5533

Are you going to assemble the watch yourself or have someone else do it for you? Most of the modders here on the forum can put one together and get it water resistant for showering and washing hands, etc. I believe that one of the resaons the case sellers put the disclaimer in the ad is they have no control over the assembly of the watch. If it's not asssembled correctly, and water gets inside, there could be claims that the case was at fault, when it very well could have been the way it was put together. Another thing, the old brevet crown, do not have the triplock or even the twinlock crowns like later Rolex submariners. I may be incorrect  but that design relies on one o-ring inside the crown for water resistance.

Are you going to assemble the watch yourself or have someone else do it for you? Most of the modders here on the forum can put one together and get it water resistant for showering and washing hands, etc. I believe that one of the resaons the case sellers put the disclaimer in the ad is they have no control over the assembly of the watch. If it's not asssembled correctly, and water gets inside, there could be claims that the case was at fault, when it very well could have been the way it was put together. Another thing, the old brevet crown, do not have the triplock or even the twinlock crowns like later Rolex submariners. I may be incorrect  but that design relies on one o-ring inside the crown for water resistance.

good point.

I've picked up a gen movement a while ago, now it is with my watchmaker for a full service. If our modders can do the WR, then I'll probably send everything to them for assemble.

Edited by ck5533

The 6536 uses a Twinlock crown, if there's a dash beneath the coronet. That means twin o-rings, one beneath the crown cap and one around the shank where it penetrates the tube.

Mine has the 6mm Brevet crown, which is also Twinlock.

Parts are so scarce for the 1030 that I don't even get mine wet anymore, even though it's water tight. I don't want to risk an unseen crack in the crystal that's hidden by the bezel.

Any competent modder can do it if all your parts fit properly and you have the gaskets. You never know where a leak is going to come from because greases shift, wear out, etc and so do the various gaskets. You just need to be sure the person assembling it has a proper tester and uses it. But I am with Nanuq, if you go to the trouble and expense to assemble a proper franken I would not take it swimming or in the shower. Gen vintage owners don't why should you with a franken. :)

I recently "retired" my franken DRSD 1665 from everyday wear, especially outside working in conditions that are not conducive to a watches health!! I had  the same sort of problem, mine was tested to 6 atmos about 2 years ago. i was wearing it one day and I hit it on the side of a metal door frame (Superdomes are magnets for contact) I checked it, but didn't see anything wrong. This past summer, I was working out in the yard and was attaching a hose to a sprinkler, I didn't have a shutoff close by, so I shut off the water by doubling up and crimping the hose.  attached the end to the sprinkler with it's quick connect coupling. When I released the hose pressure, the end of the hose blew off  the coupling, and my 1665 got a full blast of water. About one second, but that's all it took. I noticed condensation under the crystal in a few minutes. I immediately took the watch off, went inside, removed the caseback and checked. No water inside, but apparently enough under the crystal to cause a fog. I put the watch inside a jar of rice with the crown unscrewed and left it fr a day or two. I called my watchmaker who told me to send it to him. On closer inspection, there was a crack running under the bezel to the base of the crown. He replaced the crystal, but from now on, I'm not taking any chances!!

One big problem with these old vintage builds, we are using vintage crystals as well. Acrylic degrades with age, it becomes less elastic and more brittle, more prone to cracking. If you go over to the Vintage Rolex Forum, there are good discussions about the dangers of wearing old watches with old parts in situations that put them at risk. It's just too easy to change watches and put on something newer, cheaper and much more "replaceable" rather than run the risk of damage to your old favorites.

i never have my watches near water or pool at all even though it is rated 300m WR or after tested.

I am very cautious with all my watches to the point that I have to pick and choose (fussy) which watch is good to wear solely depends on 1.location 2. occasion 3. mood 4. with whom 5. emotion 6. weather 7. activity. 

Having said that, nothing is going to happen according to our plan and you do not know what are you going to end up with. You are at a mate party and end up to be a dishwasher man.

You are at your misses place and end up having shower with her. You listen to weather forecast this morning, it predicts sunshine and end up with rain in the PM (especially for Melbourne weather.....that's why we call it '4 seasons in one day)  :huh:

BECAUSE we can't control the situation or mother nature,  that's why we have to be well prepared!  :g: