When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on Transocean function?

SCM

TT BSW0172A   sorry there is no link. I have been lurking for a while but not posting so I cant post links.

Of all the Breitling models, this is the one that appeals most to me. I have a few big pilot watches since that has been my style and am now leaning towards the more classic looks (not navitimer). I like this watch initially for the reasons most like a watch, it is very visually appealing to me.

One of the questions I have is on reliability. With the 3 subdials, is the 7750 movement able to naturally run these functions or is it more like the 2836-2 GMT with the aditional gears and whiz-bang magic to make it happen? I like the look of the three subdials but if it requires witchcraft and trickery to make it work, then I am out.

I understand this is not one of the more accurate reps out there but that is not a deal breaker to me. The circle of people I am usually around will most likely not care to even notice that I am wearing a watch let alone if it is a rep or gen. While this is something that I care about in some of the other reps, it is not vital in this particular model. With that being said..Id like it to be "close" and issues such as the sunken date wheel could be a deal breaker. What I am also interested in is overall build quality. I would like this watch to look nice and function with occasional wear for 5+ years. Of course if the 7750 doesnt love to run 3 dials, the reliability and long term life of this watch is a moot point.

Ive read most of the few transocean threads on this forum and there is not a whole lot talked about in regards to its function. Just thought id see if anyone out there owns one and what their thoughts are on it.

Your watch looks great, thanks for sharing. Where did you get it from (since you are happy with it) I've been looking at the higher end one from Andrew. I'm leaning towards the leather band as the metal would be too dressy for my application. I never wear a suit unless the function calls for it and that is a rare occasion.

Any thoughts from you or others on the quality of the leather band? Doesn't have to be this particular rep as I'm sure most breitlings with the leather share the same strap quality. I know it's likely to no be top grain cow hide or alligator but something that won't fall apart and will maintain its look other than break in and wear and tear.

Any complaints on this watch to date? This may be my next watch. I wish I could find an Aerospace as well.

Edited by SCM

A watch with a metal bracelet is appropriate for all but the most formal occasions. While a watch on a leather band is often seen as being dressy.

The quality of replica leather watchbands are pretty terrible; I don't think they are even cow leather, possibly pig leather. When you physically touch one they feel like plastic.

Now having said that, for your choice of the Transocean, it is a classic understated design, so I would pair it with a simple black calf-skin band.

I think your choice for is a great one. The most common complaint about this watch is that the datewheel is white, when it should be black.

Before your purchase you may also want to consider the replica Omega Speedmaster with the Lemania handwound movement. It is a similar design and a pretty accurate piece.

• 2 weeks later...

The chrono functions all work exactly how it suppose to work :)

24 Hour indicator at 3.00 subdial

Seconds subdial at 6:00 (sweeping seconds)
Pusher button at 2:00 starts/stops chronograph
Pusher button at 4:00 reset chronograph

I really love this watch!

Edited by martijnp