When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paleo

whiteboikyle

had a pretty good diet....but just cut the soy and the wheat....read "wheat belly" and it really changed me.....close to paleo but a few minor differences....only three weeks and all kinds of interesting effects....sleep is qualitatively better....mood is MUCH better.....and some strange things...vision,,,hearing and smell have all improved to the point that it sort of freaks me out....I said to my wife "what is that you are wearing?" turns out it was the exact same perfume she wears every day,,I just never noticed it....and did take off a few pounds...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

what is paleo guys?

Paleo diet is basing your eating on what Paleolithic man ate. So in basic terms no processed foods, keep away from farmed grains etc etc. The idea is to follow more of a hunter gatherer diet.

It works great for leaning out and getting more energy, but IMO it works for different reasons than most people think. The main reason this diet works (and the main reason most diets work for that matter) is that it restricts what type of foods you eat.

When you take someone who is eating unrestricted, and place them on this type of protocol they will invariably eat less, because they won't have as many food choices available to them. A lot of their favorite foods will be off the list and they will struggle to eat the same calories as before with a limited range of foods. Any diet that cuts overeating out results in greater energy.

Diets stop working when people learn how to game the system (ie. they find a food group they can eat in the rules and overindulge) or when people have a bad day or two and give up thinking all is lost.

To be honest I think the Paleo brigade are a little precious. If they want to scorn agriculture and culinary tradition in favor of returning to a caveman diet then fair enough. But they should also disregard all the other modern innovations that man has done like cars, computers, flush toilets etc

Diet and exercise is simple on paper and hard in practice. Magic formula => Eat less, move more

Paleo diet is basing your eating on what Paleolithic man ate. So in basic terms no processed foods, keep away from farmed grains etc etc. The idea is to follow more of a hunter gatherer diet.

It works great for leaning out and getting more energy, but IMO it works for different reasons than most people think. The main reason this diet works (and the main reason most diets work for that matter) is that it restricts what type of foods you eat.

When you take someone who is eating unrestricted, and place them on this type of protocol they will invariably eat less, because they won't have as many food choices available to them. A lot of their favorite foods will be off the list and they will struggle to eat the same calories as before with a limited range of foods. Any diet that cuts overeating out results in greater energy.

Diets stop working when people learn how to game the system (ie. they find a food group they can eat in the rules and overindulge) or when people have a bad day or two and give up thinking all is lost.

To be honest I think the Paleo brigade are a little precious. If they want to scorn agriculture and culinary tradition in favor of returning to a caveman diet then fair enough. But they should also disregard all the other modern innovations that man has done like cars, computers, flush toilets etc

Diet and exercise is simple on paper and hard in practice. Magic formula => Eat less, move more

Thank you very much for your explanation and I am definitely keen to try this out. Is it difficult to source for ingredients pertaining to paleo diet?

I can't commit to doing a full paleo diet, but I am taking steps in the right direction.

1)avoiding grain products like the plague.

2)main source of calories from meats and fats

3) lots of vegetables

4) small intake of fruits

but you do miss the taste of pasta and fresh bread :(. White rice is apparently ok, except for the fact that it has tons of calories.

• 1 year later...

I have to follow a modified paleo diet. The Autoimmune Protocol. It has put my Autoimmune disorder into remission. It is the paleo diet minus nightshades. With makes a lot of the normal paleo meals unavailable to me amongst all the other things like grains and processed food.

Edited by atlasmike

• 10 months later...

I like this thread... Here's my take on it all (it's going to be a long one)...

Everyone based off of genetics and ethnic background has different macro-nutrient needs.  That's why Alaskans can eat a (very) high fat diet and remain healthy, yet other cultures have a very low fat approach and are equally healthy.  If you step back and look at the FDA and their recommendations for food that's why things are so laughable.  They are pathetic in their attempt to create a one-size-fits-all diet for Americans because we are a diverse group with many different backgrounds and needs.  Their "low fat" approach the last 30+ years has resulted in an obesity epidemic because the reality is fats are VERY good for you and all us idiot Americans have replaced fats with carbohydrates, mostly in the form of refined/processed junk, mainly GMO corn based products and gluten-heavy products.

My wife and I made a commitment about 13 months ago to cut a lot of foods out of our house and lifestyle.  She was having digestive issues that created autoimmunity and led to thyroid issues, adrenal issues, and an overall hormone imbalance.  What most people (even medical professionals) don't realize, is your gut/intestinal bacteria health and balance within GREATLY impacts your body's immune system and the ability to avoid diseases created once autoimmunity occurs.  More and more studies are showing once a person's gut health is out of whack, this triggers diseases like thyroid disease, diabetes (t1) and others. 

Our 13 month journey has been fantastic.  I have always worked out 4-5 days a week and been active, but the shape I've been able to maintain since transitioning my diet over has been even better.  I don't count calories one bit and eat when I'm hungry and pass when I'm not and I've kept my body fat under 10% without any issues year around.  I used to suffer from regular headaches -now I NEVER have them.  I used to have issues turning my brain "off" at night to sleep, now I sleep soundly through the night without issue.  I used to have anxiety/stress issues related to my day job in medical sales, now I'm much calmer and less anxious.  I used to have energy dips, now I have consistent energy throughout the day.  The list goes on and on here, it's quite amazing.

Now onto our approach...  My wife has become so interested in this she's actually shifting from being an RN in labor & delivery to doing functional diagnostic health on her own full time (now this isn't an advertisement for her).  We ran a blood test that determine the inflammatory response about 350 foods/spices had on our bodies.  This helped us determine from a gut inflammation standpoint what foods agreed with us, and what foods caused issues being digested.  We actually found that list to be quite different between us, and many of the foods on there were foods we ate regularly in the past without realizing they were the culprit to bloating, gas, upset stomach etc.  We then emptied our house of ALL processed foods.  Literally our pantry only has nuts, some pea-based protein powder, and dark chocolate and that's it.  We then cut anything that wasn't organic out (from veggies/fruit standpoint) and got really picky on our meat selection - eggs are cage free free range, beef - organic grass fed (everything else free), fish - wild caught only etc.  It took about 2 months for me to stop losing cravings for sweets - coke (which I really didn't have often anyways), candy (my big sweet tooth addiction) etc.  Now our days are filled with a high fat, moderate protein, low carb approach.  The only carbs we consume are fruits (who doesn't love fruit??) and occasional potatoes and rice. 

Average day in my life is SUCH a tasty one.  I make a cappuccino when I wake up using RAW milk from a farm near by that hasn't been tampered with.  I make 3 eggs with 3 pieces of nitrite/nitrate-free bacon.  Lunch is usually a protein shake packed full of spinach, coconut oil, and berries.  Mid afternoon snack is some dark chocolate with nuts.  Dinner is 4-5 oz of meat with a HUGE plate full of veggies.  And my before bed is usually an apple with peanut butter or something similar.  I absolutely love the way I feel and actually CRAVE veggies which is so odd to say in most households.

We went one step further in our approach though- we really de-toxified our house.  We swapped out all our cleaning "chemicals" which in itself sums up their harmful ingredients, we changed detergents, soaps, shower products, and even our deodorant, face wash/lotion and hair products to all natural products that have no toxins or chemicals in them.  It's amazing how much crap we expose ourselves to every day- it's no wonder that most people walking around are "sick", have a compromised immune system, and are on the verge of getting a serious disease.  The last 13 months have been an awesome journey for us, I definitely recommend you do your homework and consider what you put in your mouth every day!  Even though our food bill has gone up monthly, you can't put a price on health - you only get one body so take care of it.  Secondly, spending a couple hundred extra per month on whole foods that you know where they came from is a lot better than spending thousands and thousands on office visits, hospital bills and the likes.

Okay, stepping off my pedestal now!