When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz watches - are they better?

Nanuq

A man was walking down the street with two suitcases when a stranger came up and asked, "Have you got the time?"

The man put down the suitcases and looking at his wristwatch said, "It's exactly five-forty six and fifty point six seconds."

The stranger replied, "Say, that's a fancy watch you've got there.  Does it do more?"

The man smiled and pressed a button.  After a moment he said, "Well, the barometric pressure is 30.06 and rising, and the humidity this afternoon will be 65%.  High tide in Sydney Harbor was 73 minutes ago, there was an earthquake in Siberia this morning, the moon phase is a waxing crescent, and CERN has just released more specifics about the Higgs Boson.  If you'd like to see where we are by GPS satellite, I can show you an overhead view.  Your girlfriend's birthday is next week, and your parking meter is about to expire.  I can Skype your mother for you, and what's this?  That item you're sniping on eBay has ended early."

"That's amazing!  I've got to have that watch!  I'll pay you a thousand dollars for it!"

"No, it's not really for sale yet.  I'm the inventor and I'm still working out some bugs. I haven't fully debugged its C compiler and ...."

"C language?  Are you kidding me?  I've got to buy that watch!  Five thousand!"

"Well, you see...."

"Ten thousand!  I've got to have it!"

"Well, okay."  He takes off the watch and carefully hands it over. 

The stranger straps it on and walks away whistling and admiring it, and the guy holds up the suitcases...

"Don't you want the batteries??"