When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Octopus Sea Dweller

eduardor

Probably had those been issued earlier with the 1665 as a base watch, they would be in great demand, but unfortunately, the 16600 is neither rare nor is it vintage. There are probably thousands of 16600's around, and they aren't old enough or scarce enough to attract collectors, even those who are collecting more contemporary watches. AFA I'm concerned, these fall into the same catagory as any of the "commemorative" watches Rolex has produced. The Dominos pizza datejusts, the Cotton Bowl champion watches, etc., Maybe in 20-30 years these will be collectibles, but not now.

When I first saw these awhile ago I thought they would end up collector items like comex, but I guess not. I think you can get one for alittle more than a regular sub the same age.
Where? I'll take it! I love this particular watch. I've seen one listed once and it commanded a huge price. This is no Domino's. only 78 were allegedly made.

For those who dont like to click , The price, including buyer’s premium, was SFR 87,000 (roughly £53,000 ) YIKES   The Rolex Octopus (Sommozzatori)
Rolex_Octopus-Lying-Down.jpg

The Rolex Sea-Dweller "Octopus"

In 2008, the diving corps of the Italian State Police, the Polizia di Stato Sommozzatori, celebrated their fiftieth year, having been founded in 1958. Most unusually, the Rolex Watch Company agreed to produce a limited series of watches to commemorate the event.

We were very pleased to be able to transact the sale of one of these very rare Rolex Sea-Dweller watches. The model number is that of a classic sapphire-crystal model, 16600 and the serial number begins with the letter V.

Of the only 78 pieces that were made, a subset of merely 28 pieces carry an additional inscription bearing the certification number of the diver to whom it was issued. This “Brevet” number relates uniquely to the diver, who was supplied the watch in 2008.

The watch is in unworn condition, with factory-applied case stickers intact. These watches are collectible in their own right, having been superseded by the incredible Sea-Dweller Deepsea. What immediately sets it apart is the markings in the dial and on the case-back.

The dial bears the insignia of the corps, a writhing octopus set in a round escutcheon, encircled with the words Polizia di Stato Sommozzatori. On the back of the watch is the following inscription (in addition to the usual text found on the back of Sea-Dwellers), applied using high-voltage electro-gravure:

POLIZIA DI STATO
SOMMOZZATORI
1958 – 2008
BREV. SMZ
N. xxx

For obvious reasons, we have not published the actual digits of the diver’s individual number.

Rolex_Octopus-Back.jpg

Rolex_Octopus-BackZOOM1-300x250.jpgRolex-Sommozzatori-Octopus-Zoom-299x300.

The watch is accompanied by its Rolex box with instruction and information leaflets (in Italian), guarantee certificate, the plastic guard for the bezel, chronometer tag, a leather folder containing a double-ended tool for adjusting the bracelet, extended link, a credit-card sized Buehlman diving table, and a uniform patch, bearing the Octopus insignia.

Normally only the authorised dealer’s details are recorded on the guarantee certificate by Rolex, whereas, in this case, the recipient’s details are also impressed onto the certificate by the same printing process, further reinforcing the unique provenance of these watches.

By all accounts, this is the rarest and most collectible Rolex of modern times. Of the very few formal associations that Rolex Watch Company have entered into, this is the most recent, and perhaps the most surprising, given their traditional conservatism and aversion to collaborations with third parties. The other obvious association that springs to mind is the Comex, a watch made for the professional diving company of that name. The exceptional rise in value over the past ten years of these commercial divers’ watches, which are not as rare, nor as specific, as this series, bodes very well for the future value of the Octopus.

Highlighting its importance in the pantheon of highly sought-after Rolex watches, the Octopus has lately been featured on the cover of Mondani and Ravagnani’s seminal work Rolex Submariner Story.

This model recently appeared for sale at Christie’s Geneva (10 May 2010), the first time one has been offered at auction. The price, including buyer’s premium, was SFR 87,000 (roughly £53,000). It is interesting to note that this watch was not one of the twenty-eight individually-numbered models.

Rolex-Sommozzatori-Papers-02.jpg

Guess I was wrong, but still wouldn't buy it. Rather have a older 50s or 60s sub.
+1 for me too. Man for that price you could have a collector grade 6538, as well as a 6542, both of which will probably appreciate more than the octopus SD