When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage military sub

bluespower

about to pull the trigger on a vintage military sub swiss from josh to use as my main flyfishing watch. without telling me to get it pressure tested, does anyone have experience with this watch underwater off the shelf?

I got dibs on the case/dial when you flood it. :Jumpy:

No seriously man, reps are no good for stuff like that.

The summer I worked in Yellowstone I had a Timex Ironman on a Kavu velcro strap. Worked perfect.

Where do you fish?

Northeast PA and Catskills mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

5517--Water 'resistant' I can dig. IE, could handle taking a shower etc. The inside of my crystal on the 5517 military sub fogged slightly. So..with that a few questions.

1. Is the bezel suppossed to click? Min spins freely and removes easily from the watch...

2. What 'mods' if any would be good for this watch? I'd like to be able to at least get in the shower with the thing.

But it is a pretty watch from Joshua

Regards all/

CLLucas@killingjanefonda.com

5517 - mine, Failed WRT at all levels, one of the worst results I have ever seen. likely a crystal area leak. Mine is a couple of years older and they have changed the look of the crystal on the new ones.

Any rep should be tested if you plan to trust it to usage such as plunging in a stream, or you can use that as the empirical test, but I'd hate to see that nice ETA movt drowned.

@lucasusaf

1. supposed to spin both directions on 5517

2. some change the insert and pearl, but this watch is pretty well done. Take the 'newness' off of it. A GEN would be a 1960s Military issued watch. Real examples would have useage wear on them.

True true on age. I'm sure banging aroudn the inside of a B-52 will do well to 'age' it some...I popped off the bezel today and added kinks to the spring, suggestions by Klink....and now it's a lot tighter. I'm fine with the crystal but may try running a bead of epoxy sealant around the crystal, for when I forget to take it out of the shower...and likely run a dremmel over it when I get back.

My wife knows I have the propensity for spending money when I deploy (Persian rugs, Omega watches)...I can't wait to see her face on this one.

Thanks for the reply-

R/

CLLucas