When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decisions!

SCM

It's been two weeks so I think I've been patient enough. Time for another watch. Racking my brain thinking about what watch to go with. My perfect watch would be a 1675 but that gen/Franken/build is a little more than I'm looking to spend right now...(read as..my wife wouldn't authorize that). I really like the vintage rolex GMT/Sub/SD but not sure if one of trustys offerings are up to the level of great builds I've seen on this site from you all. I'm likely leaning towards the other direction now, something different. I really love the look of the new CPo and would certainly buy the 42 with black bezel and orange numeral accents. I also like the Breitling Transocean Chrono in either all black or white on the leather. The worries on the Breitling are if the chrono is just asking for trouble with all the mechanical going on. I understand the 7750 is meant for it but its simply more stuff that could go wrong due to potential lack of QC. The other issue is I've heard the leather straps are junk. Not a deal breaker though as I'd ride it till the wheels fell off and maybe go with a hirsch. Any thoughts guys? Anyone have vintage rolex collecting dust? I apologize for the one continuous post. For some reason, on tapatalk when I put in breaks it simply removes them when I post.

I also say the Transocean. I own one on a mesh bracelet and I really love that watch! I've got no problems at all with the chrono. It works fine and resets to 0. I don't know anything about the leather strap because like I said, I've got the mesh..
If you've got any questions about this watch, PM me ;)

Thanks guys. I'll buy both, not sure why choosing which one I buy FIRST would be a tough decision. Not sure why the chrono worries me, no one seems to complain much about them. I'd really like to start a 1675 build but I'm still a little to noob for that adventure. I'm afraid that if I bought a "vintage" sub from Andrew that it just wouldn't compare. I may just skip the build and buy a gen since I've seen the Pepsi floating around for the low 5k US range.

Thanks guys. I'll buy both, not sure why choosing which one I buy FIRST would be a tough decision. Not sure why the chrono worries me, no one seems to complain much about them. I'd really like to start a 1675 build but I'm still a little to noob for that adventure. I'm afraid that if I bought a "vintage" sub from Andrew that it just wouldn't compare. I may just skip the build and buy a gen since I've seen the Pepsi floating around for the low 5k US range.

You will never regret buying a gen Rolex GMT. Personally, I like the 16750 a little better than the 1675. It's got a quickset movement (newer and more robust) which is really handy unless you wear the watch every day or keep it on a winder. nothing worse than picking up a non quickset watch and having  the date in the date window 25 days away from the present date!! If you find one of the early 16750's, they have the non metal surround dial plots (like the 1675), Matte dial and the dial has "Oyster Pepetual" not "Oyster Pepetual Date" like the later 16750 dials. Most of the 1675 "builds" are easily spotted because you have to use a 6mm crown instead of the gen 5.3mm that is standard on the 1675(0)"s 

Here is my 16750 It's a later model with the white gold surrounds. It is tritium so it has no glow left!!

post-327-0-02484000-1362753001_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-53616300-1362753257_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a 1675/0 they'd consider selling? Not sure if I'm headed that direction with this next purchase but the right watch could change all that.

Why don't you start visiting the Vintage Rolex Forum and their Vintage Rolex Market. Here is the link http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/ Visit around over there for a fwew days, Always a GMT or two for sale. Post a "Want to buy" with specifics of what you are looking for i.e, "late 1675 or early matte dial 16750" I guarantee you will get some responses. Nice thing is there are a lot of guys on that forum that are dealers, they know Rolex watches. They have to because if they make a mistake, it could cost them thousands. So you know that what you are looking at is genuine.Most of them have a return policy, so you're pretty safe, not like Ebay where you may be getting a good deal, but you may be getting scammed! Also while prices are firm on some watches, they usually have a little latitude, so it doesn't hurt to ask them, "what's the best you can do on this watch" i saw one that Steve Mulholland had for sale for 5k that he told a potential buyer on his facebook page that he could go 4700, so there's some "horse trading" allowed.