When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps for service with "non" rep friendly watchmakers?

CokeSmurf

Hey guys!
This may seem like a stupid question, but since i'm new to all this i'll just go ahead.
If i want to service my watch, or do something EXTERNAL on the watch, for example shorten the bracelet and do not have the tools myself, what would happen if i where to go the the local mall where there is a standard watch shop from a chain in sweden called "Stjärnurmakarna" (Tissot, GC, Certina, simple stuff like this.)
Most of the people in these shops are not actuall watchmakers, merely people working in the shop who know a little about watches.
Would they be able to call it as a rep (Depending on how good it was ofcourse. Was thinking about this: http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_114&products_id=10440&zenid=88e22518cdb556d606633c73762bd26f ) and if so, what would they do if they realised it was a rep?

Thanks,

CS

I would ask if they have a problem with reps or not... Did this in a similar watch shop in a mall, and for them it was ok because they don't sell brands like Breitling, Rolex etc. But everyone / every shop may have an different view to this, so you'll have to find it out... And for easy tasks like changing or shorten a bracelet: get yourself some basic tools like small screwdrivers and special tools (spring bar tool), watch some videos explaining how to do, and do it yourself. It's not so complicated, even I was able to learn that...;)

Yeah. Just be upfront. There is a guide on rwi, assisting in finding, approaching and planning an unknown watchsmith. In most cases they want to wash their hands clean in fear that the movement or watch will fall apart on first touch. (which of course is not true). Let me find it for you when I'm on a computer Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Get yourself a set of jewelers screwdrivers, and do it yourself. Adjusting bracelets with screwed in links is about one step in complexity above changing a light bulb!! Look at the people doing it for you in the mall shops. They don't know a watch crown from a billygoat's a*ss, but they can adjust bracelets and change batteries!!

AFA the folks in the Mall shop knowing if it was a rep or gen, don't worry, they can't!! I bet you could take a bad rep of one of the brands they sell, and they still couldn't tell. The girl adjusting your watch if she is less tha 30, can probably tell you the names of ever Rock singer on the planet currently singing, the best place to get a tatoo in Stockholm, every color of nail polish at the mall cosmetics store, but rest assured, changing batteries and adjusting  bands is not her life work and she isn't interested. Unless the folks who work in mall store in Sweden are a different breed than the mall workers here in the USA, I sure wouldn't worry. Having said that Who knows if she is going to be able to adjust a band without scratching up the links, stripping a screw, etc. Better to do it yourself.

I wouldn't take my Rolex rep into a Rolex AD and ask them to adjust the bracelet. They probably have a watchmaker on site, who does all that, and he can probably tell . And if he's suspicious, all he has to do is walk out front, get a genuine out of the display case and compare them side by side, you're busted!!!. Mall shops OK, AD's not OK

Thanks for the great answers!

Panerai153: And if i were to get "busted", what happens then?

Nothing much. It depends what kind of 'busted'.

Is it:

1. "Nice rep, mate - they get better every year don't they?" in which case you say "Yes, it's a rep - I'm very pleased with it. You are quite beautiful. Would you like to come for a drink with me?"
  2. "You are wearing a fake and are low-life scum" in which case you say "**** Off, you ignorant loser. I will take my money elsewhere" then you take your watch   and leave the store hopefully letting go an eggy fart on the way out.
Edited by Higs
  • Like 1

If he got "busted" at an AD would they just keep the watch? Or would it be more than that?

First off, I wouldn't take a rep into an AD.

But if they did and I was 'busted' there is no way they would keep my property.

What kind of authority does a guy in a shop have to seize goods?

If he got "busted" at an AD would they just keep the watch? Or would it be more than that?

All they can do is refuse service. they have no authority under the law to seize private property. They may give you some nasty remarks about buying a "piece of trash" replica, but beyond that, they can't do anything. In fact if  i were an AD, and someone came into my store with a fake, I would politely tell him, I'm sorry, but Rolex will not allow us to work on Replica watches, but I if and when yo decide to purchase a genuine watch, i will be more than happy to help you with finding one. We also sell very nice jewelry, etc. so if you are ever looking for a present for your wife, girlfriend, business associate,etc., please come by and let us help you. If you treat folks like that, who knows, that individual might very well come in six months later and spend 5k on and engagement ring!!

• Like 1

...In fact if  i were an AD, and someone came into my store with a fake, I would politely tell him, I'm sorry, but Rolex will not allow us to work on Replica watches, but I if and when yo decide to purchase a genuine watch, i will be more than happy to help you with finding one. We also sell very nice jewelry, etc. so if you are ever looking for a present for your wife, girlfriend, business associate,etc., please come by and let us help you. If you treat folks like that, who knows, that individual might very well come in six months later and spend 5k on and engagement ring!!

Exactly - there is absolutely nothing in it for the shop to treat you badly but if they treat you decently, well.... who knows?

Yeah. Just be upfront. There is a guide on rwi, assisting in finding, approaching and planning an unknown watchsmith. In most cases they want to wash their hands clean in fear that the movement or watch will fall apart on first touch. (which of course is not true). Let me find it for you when I'm on a computer Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/how-find-local-50448.html

Said thread about this on rwi

Relax my friend a good rep will pass with 99% of the public. Even good some AD sales persons don't have a clue. I've worn my Breitling SA into a AD to shop and the salesperson complimented on how nice it looked on me. I've also worn my sub into an AD and got the same response. A good rep cannot be spotted from the wristie. Remember only use watch geeks are OCD critical. Soooo relax and enjoy to the max gents!