When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building a franken 16520

username here

Phong is the only case I know about that will work with a Zenith (whatever calibre). The plungers won't line up with a rep case.....there are a few threads here on the subject.

So IMO Phong case $$$$  Zenith X $$$$, gen dial $$$$  = HIGH DOLLAR...I know a guy Junio on RWI, gen 16520 with a 400 Zenith I think....clips about $3000

Price parts are now on the higher end again and perhaps now is not the best time to build a franken.  Nevertheless they're a fun project and one that is readily attainable.  And the gens are up in price too, as it's definitely all relative.  I saw a gen A serial on TRF today for $12k.  They'd dipped down to $9-10k for a while there. Keep in mind that a Phong case (the *right* Phong case - as he does have more than one) best replicates an A serial or current service replacement case.  So you'll probably want a service replacement dial and hands to go with it.  And when ordering from Phong, do be very specific about the case that you want.  I'd be glad to show you pics of mine which is an example of the best case Phong has to offer...

Edited by chieftang

Phong is the only case I know about that will work with a Zenith (whatever calibre). The plungers won't line up with a rep case.....there are a few threads here on the subject.

So IMO Phong case $$$$  Zenith X $$$$, gen dial $$$$  = HIGH DOLLAR...I know a guy Junio on RWI, gen 16520 with a 400 Zenith I think....clips about $3000

is he selling?  $3k seems cheap

is he selling?  $3k seems cheap

I dunno if it's the language barrier or something else, but that guy weirds me out. He offers terrible advice as though he's some kind of authority, and he has repeatedly said he considers it his "duty" to do so. He's also wrong a fair bit. I don't think I'd buy a watch he built.

It is sneed..Junio uses a translator program at times....I have spent a fair amount of time bantering with him..He is fine, it IS the language barrier.

Basically,  he has a gen 16523 with a transplated Zenith movement out of something else, Ebel I think, 400 calibre. He goes on about "low beat high beat vs. low beat" that gets confusing. That's all there is to it. He bought a gen 16523 without its movement and had another Zenith added. Nothing more or less and got a helluva deal on the whole package meaning, he has about $3000 in the whole damn watch.

Just read the thread on rwi. He says it was 4-5k, not 3. And don't think he's selling. He's a real daytona fanatic! If it were 3k, i'd buy it in a heartbeat. At 4-5k, i'd go with a gen 16528

My bad.......sorry