When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Start of a new Franken seamaster chrono

danza1812

Guys, it's been a while since I posted so hi again.

I've managed to control my watch addiction the last few months but the bug has got me again and I've decided to venture on a project I've been wanting to do for years, the seamaster chrono.

I had one of these many years ago and installed a gen bezel, still don't know why I flipped it but hey ho.

So I start again, managed to get a gen dial for a great price off eBay (£35). So now I'm looking for the donor watch. I plan on sticking to gen dial, hands and bezel this time and building this version;

05489A26-17B1-48D6-B5EC-C1AAD88E3600-296

So, my quick questions;

1. Best place to get the smp chrono donor?

2. Is the a7750 easy to remove and install hands?

3. Will all the gen hands fit the a7750 movement?

4. Is this a worthwhile build?

Best regards and thanks in anticipation of your advice

Edited by Danza1812

the new style chrono reps wont take the older dials...im sure theres old threads around detailing how the holes for the chrono hands are in the wrong place for the newer a7750 movement...i think you would need to source an older low-beat a7750 movement for this dial, and hopefully it would fit in the newer style rep case...

its a nice piece, but are you sure its not just so much trouble and effort, you may aswell just pick up a used gen? i've seen the older chrono models come in at between £900 to £1500, depending on condition...thats a pretty obtainable price.

good luck with whatever you go with!

Interesting, Is it because this is an older gen dial, or has the movement changed with the introduction of the red seamaster dials?

I thought it would be a straight swap! Nothing's simple in this hobby! Anyone who's fit a gen dial into a new style case please do chime in!

older gen dial will fit the older chrono rep no probs, the newer "red seamaster" chrono rep has a newer fast beat a7750 and the chrono hand holes are in a slightly different position...its definately not a straight swap with the dial you have...

im not sure, but i think ofrei carry stock of the correct a7750 movement that this dial will fit...or was it cousinsuk?! about a year ago i was looking at a similar build, but gave up after researching and adding the price of parts... £200 for the watch, £165 dial, £185 movement, £200 bezel, £55 hands, £145 crystal... that (although all new parts admittedly) came to over £900...i ended up just getting the chrono rep and swapping out the crystal for one with double AR coating, it looked great, scratched my itch at the time to own a chrono, and i flipped it for also the price i paid. i would imagine a franken would not hold its value...

if you need any parts numbers, case numbers etc just shoot my a pm

good luck and happy hunting!

you wont be dissapointed, its a great rep and highly regarded round the forums, i was gonna go for a gen bezel on mine, but in all honesty the colour and look was fine in the flesh, thats why i went with an AR crystal instead which really made the dial pop! i'll try and dig out some pics if they still on my hardrive...

• 3 months later...

Thanks mate, I know your po crystal is a little thicker than the smp crystal but the clarity and effect of the double AR on the detailed chrono dial is well worth it. I've ordered the chrome bezel from cousins which will arrive and be fitted and project completed tomorrow.

Very nice. :good:

The initial run of the SMP Chrono rep came with perfect ETA dw. Mine has only genuine insert installed. Even the dial wave pattern is superb.

I wear my SMP Chrono every week and it has been a reliable since 2006. Not as HC as yours but a fantastic rep... one of the best ever.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/113817-tribute-to-my-favorite-replica-watch-seamaster-chronograph/