When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Extra Movement (What Would You Do)

omgiv

Now that my 5513 is done, I have an extra 1520 that I don't plan on using. My next projects are a 1680 and 1665 so I need 1570's and not a 1520.

I had planned on selling it as a parts movement but didn't get any takers. I decided to try out my new microscope yesterday and go over the parts to see if I could spot anything wrong. At 60x magnification I could see that the the lower balance pivot was ever so slightly bent. I restaffed the balance and put a new roller on it (the old one would not fit the new staff) and it is running now. It isn't keeping COSC standards but has good amplitude and keeping +/- 20 in all positions. I feel like it is a decent movement and should be used by somebody (if not me).

The question is would you keep it for safe keepings or sell it. If I do sell it, what is a fair price to ask? Thanks!

I suppose the basic question is ,do you think that you have a future plan for the movement? That is within the foreseeable future. It's not going to spoil, so if you think that you might need it in the future, I would keep it. If you need the funds for something else, or don't feel that you are going to need it later on, then I would sell it.

AFA the value, if it's running only +/- 20 seconds, can it be adjusted to closer to COSC specs? And if it can, what does it need to get there. I would not pay as much for a movement that's running +/-20 as I would for a freshly serviced one that was within COSC.

Thank you both for the replies. I can adjust it so that the rates can cancel them out but getting it to COSC is probably above my skillset. It would probably involve hairspring and curb pin tweaking. Both of those are dangerous and one can easily ruin a watch by trying it (don't ask how I know).

Well, if it is in a condition a skilled watchmaker could fix it up to COSC specs it's a perfectly fine movement imo, even if this wasn't possible there would still be many takers. You will probably recoup about 2/3 of a decent donor watch for a 1570 with the sale and that's the movement you need for your next build. I wouldn't keep a spare 1520 atm, spare parts are still available pretty easily so collecting donor movements just for parts isn't really necessary yet. I wouldn't just start building a watch around your 1520 just because you have a spare one lying around either. They aren't hard to come by and if you decided after your 1570 build that you want another non-date you won't have any problems getting another one. Also another non-date build after a just completed 5513 to me doesn't sound too exciting, I'd sell it on and start collecting parts for the build you really want, a 1680 or 1665.    

Thank you very much for the insightful comments. I don't really have a build in mind for it right now and like you said, building a watch just because I have a movement doesn't make sense.

I was truly looking for what is reasonable to ask if I were to sell it and now a sales thread. That being said I will contact with you Mike.