When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW Daytonas: How to tell a V72 case from a V7750 case?

lhooq

Perhaps a silly question to more capable watchsmiths than me, but...

I have a small pile of DW Daytona cases.  They should all accept a Valjoux 72 movement, but I've recently discovered that MANY of them do not!  Is there a quick and dirty way of determining which cases will take a V72, which will take a 7750, and which will take a Mystery Movement?

No. Externally, except for the casebacks (which are taller for 7750 movements), the cases are the same. & with the lack of manufacturing consistency between them, I do not know of a reliable way to tell other than trying the movement out in a given case. I have had V72s fit in cases made for 7750s & I have had V72s that did NOT fit in cases made for V72s. I have less experience building 7750-powered Daytonas, but, so far, never had a problem fitting a 7750 into a case made for a 7750.

Based on ChiMan's comment, I think I might have got it:  On the cases that will take a V72, the uppermost ridge will bisect the holes for the crown and pushers.  Cases that won't will have a top ridge that falls short of reaching the equator. 

Unfortunately, it turns out that my beloved FAP 6239 has one of the latter cases, a discovery made by The Zigmeister during a recent service.  I don't know how my old watchsmith managed to cram everything inside and get it running, but Zig refused to touch it in that precarious state.  The guts have been transplanted into a new DW case, which jmb will soon be working on. 

Ignorance was bliss!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dw is David Wong the only seller of a7750 daytonas, cases and dials with proper subdial spacing and functioning, they come as auto winds but can be converted to manual wind. He is notorious for sending the wrong parts or no parts at all so be very cautious actually don't bother, find one from the sales section or from a member. The v72 cases he offers are the cheapest and best bang for the buck