When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage 6154 finished

irate03

This is my first River 6154. The required look was old but cared for, not overly abused.
Parts:
River 6154 case set (softened and shaped slightly by me )
River stock crown, softened and aged.
River stock rear plexi yellowed and aged.
River front stock plexi aged slightly.
Movement ring is modified from an Athaya moly ring for a silix 6154, needed to be sanded on the outside and height dropped. It has also been treated with a salt / lemon / vinegar bath to age it and some beautiful green patina formed.
Athaya hands ( aged and lumed by me )
Athaya RP dial ( Painted by me ) Lumed with Cornholio's vintage lume.
Molnija 3601 seconds trimmed ( cleaned and serviced by me ) (thanks Tanukjaju  for the help and advice :thumbup: )
I'm using a sanded and slightly thinned moly dial as a back plate for the dial to raise the stem a little. It's still got it's pins so it's locked in to place and the Athaya dial is attached with dial tabs.

R_6154_brown1_01.jpg

R_6154_brown1_02.jpg

R_6154_brown1_02a.jpg

R_6154_brown1_03.jpg

R_6154_brown1_04.jpg

R_6154_brown1_05.jpg

R_6154_brown1_06.jpg

R_6154_brown1_07.jpg

R_6154_brown1_08.jpg

R_6154_brown1_09.jpg

R_6154_brown1_10.jpg

R_6154_brown1_11.jpg

R_6154_brown1_12.jpg

R_6154_brown1_13.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great mate...love it on that last strap...any more info on that one please?

I have just got some 6154s from R myself..not sure I have confidence to start the case work needed on it but might practice on an old DSN ... still trying to talk myself into it :)

Tell me mate why did you use Adrians Moljina movement ring rather than the one R sells with the case for the 3601/02 ?

Looks lovely nice work :)

Looks great mate...love it on that last strap...any more info on that one please?

I have just got some 6154s from R myself..not sure I have confidence to start the case work needed on it but might practice on an old DSN ... still trying to talk myself into it :)

Tell me mate why did you use Adrians Moljina movement ring rather than the one R sells with the case for the 3601/02 ?

Looks lovely nice work :)

River's cases are good to go without reshaping. I just wanted to soften and age it a bit, the next one i'm making will be a lot more aggressively aged :bangin:  Both straps are made by me, the tan one is just oiled veg tan leather with a bit of vintage treatment and a cool custom made buckle by an amazing craftsman called Elias.

I only used Adrian's movement ring because I got the case before River had made the moly rings. I haven't received the new moly rings yet they'll come with some cases next week but from what I can see they are as thin an shallow as the 6497 ring. Adrian's moly ring was for a silix case and needed some work to fit it but it has a nice lip that the back slots in to, and I just couldn't resist giving it some aged patina, i know you can't see it when it's fitted but it looks good in photos before the back goes on. I love the details :clap2:

Nice work!

Cheers Mel, nice to see you here.

Thanks for reply mate

I guess we have different idea of details then.... but from my point of view the lugs need some work as do the pillows... of course you cant do anything about the hole position and size but the lugs need a little TLC shape wise across the top profile...

Nice work though mate :)

Out of interest mate.....Whats your gen refence for the high CP...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is EXACTLY what I am looking to either build or buy! 

irate03 would I be able to achive this following your spec list? Your post is recent but I have been lurking around here and on HF and 6154 case sets and parts seem hard to source right now

This is EXACTLY what I am looking to either build or buy! 

irate03 would I be able to achive this following your spec list? Your post is recent but I have been lurking around here and on HF and 6154 case sets and parts seem hard to source right now

best options are either an Athaya or River 6154 River's is cheaper, there are minute details different between them, both are beautiful. The dials i've used are Athaya's, can be tricky to work with because the engravings are a little shallow and fill when you are painting the dial. This build is with the River case so the dial is stock as is the display back and crown. Powered by a molnija cleaned and oiled by me. I removed the seconds pin (filed down) and assembled using River's moly movement ring. The case is sanded / filed to soften it and gives some wear and tear age.

• 1 month later...

Talk to me about the first strap. The whole build looks amazing

E

Thanks guys :)  Ephry the first strap is one I made for my 6152/1 , new leather aged and dyed, fitted with an Elias sewn-in brass buckle.

Here's a thread with all my hand made straps so far, including some more vintage ammo pouch  straps.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/154124-my-first-ammo-strap-finished/