When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIC back at home!

panerai153

I really don't have much to add to the great thread that Sneed12 started about my GMT IIC. I do want to say Sneed did a wonderful job putting this watch together. I'm very happy with it, and this one will be a keeper for sure. I'm a GMT fanatic anyway, so this one sort of tops off the modern end of my collection.

I got the watch back yesterday, and I have to say the genuine bezel/insert are much more impressive on the watch and in person than the photos. As you can see in the photos, the watch is on a two piece striped NATO. that's because I encountered  a little problem when the watch got here. the first thing after unpacking it, I tried to put the bracelet on, couldn't wouldn't go. I was getting pretty exasperated, "Why won't this Damn bracelet go back on, It has been changed,  off and on several times", then it dawned on me, this is a different case"!! This is a gen construction case that Sneed sold me  in order to use the geb bezel/insert.  I looked at another case that's the same as my old one, and sure enough, the lug holes are further back and higher on the old one. the end links were probably 1.5-2 mm too shallow for the new case. I even tried grinding off some of the inside of the end link, but I got all the way through the lip and was into the body of the end link and it was still too shallow. I needed another .5mm and I was out of material to grind. Next step, Email sneed to see if he stil had the bracelet that came with my new case. Luckily he did, and hopefully in a few days, my GMT IIC will be back on a nice bracelet , and I'll put paid to this project (At least for now. Later on, I'm going to try to find a new model with the correct hand stack and hopefully get Sneed to do a movement transplant) But that's another chapter for another day.

post-327-0-01278800-1365126028_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-02919000-1365126043_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-62683200-1365126062_thumb.jpg

Not liking the nato strap (if an aftermarket bracelet will not fit, you might consider 1 of the rubber-B straps or the cheaper, rep alternative), but the watch looks great. Well done.

Thanks Freddy,

The NATO is definitely temporary, sneed12 is sending me the correct bracelet that came with the case. It should be back on a correct Oyster bracelet in a few days. This NATO was sort of a spur of the moment choice, it happened to be around and easy to put on.