When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP! Want to build eta Bond 6538/5510

mac1914

Hi Guys

Im REALLY REALLY REALLY NEW!!!..  ive read with interest a lot of posts on the 6538 and best place to get cases, dials hands, straps ect but it can be quite daunting if you don't know what all the abbreviations are for the most popular suppliers... im a total Noob so I guess that's a normal thing so please guys help me out as I really want to build a replica 6538 or 5510.  Oh and I want it waterproof!!! well, so I can go swimming or snorkelling.

So Here's the info I need/ what im looking for: 

1) Best supplier of A 5510 or 6538 case that's same size as gen.. 38mm  Who supplies the most accurate  and how do I contact them?, can the case be waterproofed for shallow diving? 

2) Where can I get a Bezel which is accurate, and is brassy looking and fits either supplier of case that may be suggested? (Ive seen a supplier on ebay who claims his bezels fit gens and does a weathered look bezel which is brassy looking) but suggestions on other suppliers welcomed.

3)  Advice on fitting ETA movement, (cant afford a Gen) but ETA good enough for me. Is there adapter rings for the movement to fit to the cases?.

Of course if anyone can show some pics of there own creations and advise what cases/parts they used and where one would get them.

Oh....by the way im based in UK, so would purchasing  parts.. from abroad cause shipping and delivery problems? what I don't want is stuff being nabbed by the customs outward or inwards.. any advice on this appreciated, no point starting a project if Im unable to get the parts over here in the first place. 

Thanks guys.

Mac

Tough room! :bangin::partytime:  But freddy is right go on the hunt read all the threads on it. The guys will post different cases/parts whom they bought how they liked ETC. Part of the process of building a watch is learning these things. Now I have been here almost a year could not answer all your questions and I am here almost everyday. Starting out with a build is not going to work out well unless you can already take watches apart and rebuild them. Do you have that skill set?

post-27094-0-89271400-1365310495_thumb.j

Yukiwatch case set all parts, gen 1030 rolex movement

post-27094-0-36711800-1365310560_thumb.j

post-27094-0-85623100-1365310969_thumb.j

trustytime 5510 rep modified slow beat 2846 eta,helenarou dial

bezel insert given an aged tropical look replaced cartel crown

next job to have a brass bezel  made or purchased

Welcome to the forum Read,read,read good luck !

Hi Guys,

A big thank you to all of the guys who kindly replied to my questions this was quite helpful to me and I guess a Yuki 5510 case would be the best way forward, this seems less wokky to me and may be a good start although his case size states 37mm.. I though gens were a 38mm? non the less whats a millimetre between friends lol. 

Freddy, I appreciate your advice and guess being new I fell for the same trap as everyone else  by asking the same questions.  I like may others probably got a little confused with a lot of the terminology and the various posts relating to who is who in the replacement case world, what abbreviations relate to what supplier ect ect.. you can get a little lost on subjects if you aint got a clue what everyone is talking about. So if I have upset or P**sed anyone off I most humbly apologise.

Guess I better search the forum for all my questions....

Thanks guys

Mac