When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My MBW 1680

relaxman

Received my 1680 white yesterday purchased from another form and I'm pretty excited about this one. This one came with gen crown and insert which Is a good start to my planned mods. My first mod was to oil the bracelet and remove the 2 lines from the 91350 thumbnail clasp to make it more period correct. Been a long time since I owned one and I'm glad to have another<br />DC348C6C-9292-4D80-A075-F857935A893B-804<br />5072591D-183D-4729-A79E-E85CA163CEFC-804

• Like 1

Looks like it's on to trimming the cgs and drilling the lugholes- looking good so far. That gen insert is nice- beats that flat MBW pearl!

All that alligoat. :) I'm thinking maybe this a newer MBW, it is engraved POLEX 1680 seems I remember my original MBW having 5513 but it was a RED so im not really sure. Still going to be nice none the less when completed.

Yep, the old MBW 1680s had 5513 and an L341,xxx SN. And the red dial is 26.2mm as opposed to the 26.5mm dial for a gen 1680 or a good aftermarket dial. You have the white MBW dial which is considered pretty decent.

The old MBW cases were copied from a late model 5513- the 5513 was in production until the late 80's.

@alli my serial # is L342007 . @ Dutch I regretted selling mine as well ! I had to have another. I was going to go the Ingod dial route but from what I've read it's a PITA. I have a cartel 1680 with a very nice flat top 3 date disc that I'm hoping to swap. The numbers should line up centered correct ? My 1680 came with a Clark's crystal, I have a gen 127 from many years ago that I'm planing on swapping as well. The gen crystal I have is the service bevel type, I wish I could find a decent top hat like I use to have. Do you think there is a noticeable difference between the Clark's and Gen?

@alli my serial # is L342007 . @ Dutch I regretted selling mine as well ! I had to have another. I was going to go the Ingod dial route but from what I've read it's a PITA. I have a cartel 1680 with a very nice flat top 3 date disc that I'm hoping to swap. The numbers should line up centered correct ? My 1680 came with a Clark's crystal, I have a gen 127 from many years ago that I'm planing on swapping as well. The gen crystal I have is the service bevel type, I wish I could find a decent top hat like I use to have. Do you think there is a noticeable difference between the Clark's and Gen?

Having done the conversion from MBW dial to gen size dial, yes, it is a pain in the ass. But if you have access to a lathe it would be pretty easy. 

Your MBW dial looked like a MkII- I look at the L in Rolex- MKI the L is centered under the crown and a MKII is to the left.

My gen 1680 is a MKII from late 1978

1680sub2.jpg

The cartel date wheel overlay may sit slightly to the left of the date window- some people have had fits with this. It's too bad because it's a better DWO than the MBW one

I've seen the L342,xxx SNs also- just a later model since it says Polex 1680 as opposed to the 5513 on the early ones

Also was was wondering if anybody has ever seen a Rolex box like the one it came with . I was assuming it was a service box but I've never ran across one like it and I believe it's to nice for a service box. Pictured here with my 1675.<br />57F78E26-0553-4829-BFEF-6AD9AF5D0BF5-102<br />2F42A219-2273-4C78-8DCA-C2390E77F41E-102