When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Went to high end watch dealer to sell my REAL Breitling, "Expert" thought it was a fake

jacob_coulter

Amusing story I thought I'd pass along.  I have a friend who needed money and sold me his Breitling watch.  I honestly didn't like the dated look, but I thought I could flip it for more than the jewelry store was offering him.  He'd rather "give it away" to a friend than a store.

A few jewelry stores had made me offers, and knowing replicas, I also knew it was genuine as soon as I got it (besides the fact I've known the guy for over 20 years)  For one thing, no one makes a replica of this (that I've seen) it's an older model.  If there is a replica of this watch, it was made nearly 20 years ago and probably would probably be beneath Canal Street.

Anyway, this super high end jeweler (used to be a Breitling dealer) gets their watch buying "expert" to look at it, and said it looked too suspicious and he was afraid to risk buying it after putting it through his loupe, etc.

I just find it amusing that now dealers think their real watches are replicas. 

Why would anyone now pony up $8k for a Breitling (or any real watch for that matter).  Not even dealers can tell the difference anymore.

Also, selling this watch, I don't think I could ever buy another genuine watch again.  This thing was nearly $8k new, and all the offers I'm getting are about what just the bracelet would go for used.  I'm already getting offers for slightly more than I paid, but the depreciation is steep.

• Like 1

I think it can depend on the watch. My father in law wears a 14060 rolex and I'd really like to get one. He bought It in 1999 and the used prices I've seen are more than he paid for his new.

I notice you said 'used to be' a Breitling dealer.

A friend of mine owns a jewelry store and he doesn't know the first thing about watches, or jewelry for that matter, he simply bought the shop and is learning as he goes.

If the store expert that looked at your watch is not a Breit man but just a guy who knows a bit about watches then it's a good chance he will say the same about every second hand brand name watch he sees.

Ken

I notice you said 'used to be' a Breitling dealer.

A friend of mine owns a jewelry store and he doesn't know the first thing about watches, or jewelry for that matter, he simply bought the shop and is learning as he goes.

If the store expert that looked at your watch is not a Breit man but just a guy who knows a bit about watches then it's a good chance he will say the same about every second hand brand name watch he sees.

Ken

No, it's the same owners, they've been around for a while.  It's probably the highest-end retail jewelry dealer in town.  Not exactly sure why they stopped being an official Breitling dealer, but I know manufacturers are really squeezing dealers.  I personally think Breitling watches are a giant rip off, even though I like their looks. 

I think this guy knew the "numbers" side of buying and selling watches, just isn't much of a "horologist".  Another more seasoned associate actually came over and said the watch was genuine.

I don't  blame a person for always being skeptical regarding watches being genuine, but if someone is in the business and they can't tell after carefully analyzing with a loupe, you really have to ask yourself what's the point of buying the real thing.  Which is why most of my collection is replicas.

I believe what you said about "depreciation is a very valid point. For whatever reason, some watch brands hold their value very well over time. Rolex for example has seen the prices of their older watches continue to increase in value over the years. Of course within a brand, there are some models that are "hotter" than others and like everythiing else, On model can be white hot for a while and then the popularity wanes and the prices level off or go down. On the other hand there are some brands, and quite a few of them are well known, that seem to lose about 30-40 % of their value almost as soon as you walk out the door with them. It all depends on what's popular and desirable. I've had a couple of instinces over the years where I bought a watch that I really liked, but when it came time to move it on, I realized I was in a very small group of folks that were brand enthusists. Consequently, I ended up taking a beating on those particular watches. Not sure where Breitling fits in the great scheme of things, but  I would think that they are not a household word type brand. They must have slipped in popularity, because I know of one very well known jewelry chain locally owned but in about 3-4 states that used to be a big Breitling dealer, but they dropped the brand about 5-6 years ago.

I just think its funny how these professional jewelers think using a loupe will help them determine if it's real or not. What are they looking for exactly? A microscopic trademark symbol?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I just think its funny how these professional jewelers think using a loupe will help them determine if it's real or not. What are they looking for exactly? A microscopic trademark symbol?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I think quality of dial print. But you're right, determining the authenticity of a watch based only on loupe inspection is ridiculous.

There is still the movement to consider. A franken watch can have a gen dial and rep movement. It would appear to be genuine under a loupe.