When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grai

basketbob951

Looking good, I'm glad it went to a good home where it will be loved! And thank you for saving me from buying a gen 3135 for it!!

Everything gen on that watch should be accurate to an M-Serial sub. The bigger tell on that dial is the spacing on "Oyster Perpetual Date" which is the later version. I have a gen "SWISS MADE" dial with the earlier text spacing and it will be going on my 16800 with a flat four insert for that exact reason.

Awesome build.

Congrats basketbob.

Fidhle007 is right.

The dial font on this one is the newer version...the stick bar at 6 position has nothing to do with "dating" the dial.

There are several variations of 16800/16610 dial font but the stick bar hasn't ever changed.

As for the pointed super lumi insert as opposed to the tritium and luminova Flat 4 insert...the flat 4 just looks better, date era correct or not :)

i have a gen "P" serial 16610 from 2000. It has a flat 4 lumi insert. this isn't a flat 4 insert, it's the pointed 4, later models. Not sure when Rolex changed to the more pointed 4 insert.

I have to agree with alligoat, the older flat 4's look better, like the fat font inserts look better on 1680's

Nice job Basketbob. Where did the SA3135 come from?

I think the slim 4 came out in 2003 when the Y serial changed to the 16610T case (no lugholes). Certainly it was out on the F serials which are around 2004.

This is a late Y-serial- no lugholes case

T2eC16RHJF0E9nmFSHgBQeDIBUg60_31.jpg

OysterPassion is a good little timeline for the most part. The thing with Rolex is they are always making changes.

I have a 16800 that has a 1998 dial- it says Swiss T<25, but was lumed in luminova so it still glows at night, as do the hands. Rolex used up the last batch of T<25 dials using luminova and then went to the 'Swiss' designation using luminova. Don't know if this happened on the new 16610s also. Mine was a service dial since it originally had the matte dial- 8.1 million SN. Read about that on VRF.

10 years on the slim 4, hard to believe, but 16610 production ended in 2010 or so, right?