When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 gen hands information request

markiemark

Since the gen hands for the 3717 are out of stock everywhere, I want to do a little information request to those who are lucky enough to own a set. 

How is the lume compared to Vac's? I want to install a gen dial, and I hope the lume is about the same...

How is the color of the hour and minute hand? The rep are a bit grey-ish, I heard gen are more black. Can I paint them?

I used the search for those who own frankens, but some pics are altered or not clearly visible due to the crystal.

Could all gen hands owners help me out a bit? And post more info about the differences between the gen and rep hands. And what I could to to mod them to make them close to gen as possible?

And If you do happen to have a spare gen hands set, don't hesitate and shoot me a PM!

Cheers!

Gen markers are more white (matches the hour indices) whereas the rep is more yellow/grey. You can see a slight contrast in color between the lume markers and regular hour markers on the rep

The gen lume isn't that great compared to Vac's torch.

I don't have a 3717, but here's a pic of my Mark XVI with gen dial and hands:

post-49879-13672737622.jpg

I really didn't like the rep dial and hands' lumed portion as its off white in color.

The lume on gen is not that great, as it doesn't look like it will last for hours.

The watch is on its way to me from Vac after assembly, AR, Waterproofing and regulating.

I didn't ask Vac to lume to preserve the white color, as 99% of the time I will be seeing it during normal times, not during 'lume torch' sessions...

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I don't have a 3717, but here's a pic of my Mark XVI with gen dial and hands:

uploadfromtaptalk1367273758364.jpg

I really didn't like the rep dial and hands' lumed portion as its off white in color.

The lume on gen is not that great, as it doesn't look like it will last for hours.

The watch is on its way to me from Vac after assembly, AR, Waterproofing and regulating.

I didn't ask Vac to lume to preserve the white color, as 99% of the time I will be seeing it during normal times, not during 'lume torch' sessions...

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Is it possible to use gen mark hands? I know the xvii has a case width of 41mm, whereas the 3717 is 42mm. If the 1mm difference is in the case and not in the dial, it would be possible to use those, right?

The gen hands are definitely whiter as mentioned above, it can be very striking. Although some reps have less washed out hands than others so look at the rep hands carefully, I've seen some that were almost translucent looking and very off and others that were pretty close:

Here is a gen dial/rep hands combo that looks close to gen, apart from a little bit of the rep minute hand near the base where the lume is uneven they match very close to gen.

PFHUubEl.jpg

Cxe1RJel.jpg

zmpCahhl.jpg

The gen hands are definitely whiter as mentioned above, it can be very striking. Although some reps have less washed out hands than others so look at the rep hands carefully, I've seen some that were almost translucent looking and very off and others that were pretty close:

Here is a gen dial/rep hands combo that looks close to gen, apart from a little bit of the rep minute hand near the base where the lume is uneven they match very close to gen.

PFHUubEl.jpg

The gen dial is stunning! Did you do a relume to match the hands/dial?

The gen dial is stunning! Did you do a relume to match the hands/dial?

No they are just straight stock rep hands, no relume, just a whiter tone than some of the other rep hands I've seen. Keep an eye out for some of the brighter rep hands, I believe some batches are better than others.