When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch for my 40th

Jools4merk

Hi All, my family want to get me a gift for my 40th birthday and I have suggested a high quality rep, this didn't go down too well at the start but I think I have them convinced!! I think the budget is between £300 & £400 so I am looking for some advice. I have a gen stainless steel sub a gen small face sea master and a gen yellow gold day date oyster quartz. I have taken a real liking to an AP ROO diver or a PANERI. Where should I be going for good quality pieces and what movement will last the best?

If getting a high quality rep, remember that it does usually need more care and service than a gen, since the movement is not the same immaculate quality.
Some reps i can vouch for are the AP Diver v2/3.5, from andrew (trustytime = ttw888.com) and his AP RO 15300.
As for Panerai, i don't own one myself and can't be sure of them. 
But from what i've seen here, there is an endless amount of PAMs that are so close to the gen, that only a watchmaker who takes it apart would see the difference.

The movements are mostly chinese 2824-2 automatic movements, with 25 jewels and running at 28800 bph (Any lower, i'd say steer clear.)
For the chronograph movements it is normally an Asian 7750, yet again running at 28800 bph.

If you bump the price up slightly, you can get models with swiss movements of both these models instead, which i myself prefer since i feel they are more reliable during service. (Note, they are not entirely swiss quality parts as they may have chinese parts.)
There are slight deviations of each of these movements, like the Swiss 7753 (Which is very expensive for reps.)

If you double your budget, and are very lucky, you may find a SW 200 movement, which i have only heard the very best of!

I hope this helped!
If not, then give me a shout and i'll do what i can!

The Raymond Weil Nabucco is well worth a look also! Excellent build quality, almost perfect to the gen, slightly sunken date wheel, but it's a multi layer carbon dial, so the gen isn't flush either! I both gen and rep and they are fantastic! Also, not many of them around, so pretty exclusive too!

Most new daylight Pams are excellent these days, with the A7753 in them. A lot of the new Breitlings are amazing too, especially the new skylands, super avengers and the new Soper Ovean Abyss chronos are damn near perfect! I tried the gen on while I was choosing a watch from insurance money, and it's staggering how close they are!!

Hope you find what you like buddy, the big 40 is a special one!!

Sixx. :bones: