When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genstein Service

slickdealer420

I believe the problem is that an IWC AD would likely send your watch to IWC for service. And who knows what would happen.... Nobody really knows where concepta gets his cases and it could come out to be an issue you don't want to deal with. I've only read that IWC keeps good logs of their watches and serials but who knows?

I've actually thought about it before when I owned a mark XVI genestein (full gen) .

To be honest... Why pay the premium? It's just an ETA.. Any competent watchmaker could help ya out.

It's a Hugo genstein 3717 I obtained from another forum member. The reason why I'm hesistant for a normal watchsmith to do it is because supposedly the ETA 7750 was heavily modified to run to IWC standards. Now while I'm not entirely sure if thats just not hot air, I'd like it to run at IWC standards. Does anyone know how much a movement overhaul is at the IWC service center. I probably will just go to a private watch smith but was curious if anyone has taken this route.

Guest shafah

Your going to spend close or more than 1k and like I said before if theres any problems with parts case whatever, there either going to take all the parts and make you pay for gen ones or they won't even think about servicing it.

When it comes to the movt, sure its modded to run the sec@6 which has a transfer plate and some extra gears to make it transfer the power from 9 to 6. When you say it was modded to iwc standards I highly highly doubt it. It's a normal eta7750 with the normal transfer plate, nothing more nothing less. I think when u say modded to run to iwc standards they ment the sec@6 modification. Find a private good watchsmith and they will be able to take care of you for a lot less $ than iwc.

If the watch is from Hugo there shouldn't be a single rep component in the watch head.  So I don't see how they would "take all the parts and make you pay for gen ones" ... I'm not even sure what that means.  

That said the 79320 in the 3717 isn't much more complicated than a regular eta 7750 refer to this document for the actual modifications IWC makes/asks ETA to make:  http://www.iwcforum.com/Movements/IWC_Calibre_7xxx.pdf The movment in your 3717 is the 79320 and is described on page 8.

edit: the whole document is worth a read if you own a gen, lots of good info.

Edited by shafah

When it comes to the movt, sure its modded to run the sec@6 which has a transfer plate and some extra gears to make it transfer the power from 9 to 6.

What are you talking about? A 3717 runs the standard ETA 7750 6-9-12 configuration.

When you say it was modded to iwc standards I highly highly doubt it. It's a normal eta7750 with the normal transfer plate, nothing more nothing less.

If it's a genenstein with full gen everything then it has a gen IWC 79320 in it. The 79320 doesn't have or use a transfer plate.

It does have all of the IWC value-adds: custom balance wheel, mainspring, etc. The do further finishing to the mainplates. They use a weaker mainspring because they claim that their modifications mean that less power is needed to drive the geartrain. All that stuff.

Im not sure but most likely no. I would think like rolex if they found non gen parts they wouldnt work on it 

From the OP's description, there are no non-gen parts. It's a genenstein with gen everything.

Even though it is a complete gen just not assembled by IWC the issue would be the serial numbers of the case and movement. As said above IWC keep records of the serial numbers so the genstien will have none matching serials. It would also depend how the parts are sourced as to where or if the serials are recorded by IWC.

As you have said I would take to a local watchsmith, going to IWC risks all sorts of potential problems.

The thing I'm wondering is, there are many variations of gensteins out there, mainly the 3717, and many were assembled early on by conceptas watchmaker or other watchmakers. Many buyers also self built from parts.  But there are a few that were IWC built, and came fully assembled by IWC. Now I still wouldn't take any chances as all the serials might be blacklisted but what sort of status would they have with IWC now? Would they be considered grey or (cough) stolen even. I was under the impression that some were models that were excess stock that never went out to AD's and had to be cleared from the factory somehow. ??

The thing I'm wondering is, there are many variations of gensteins out there, mainly the 3717, and many were assembled early on by conceptas watchmaker or other watchmakers. Many buyers also self built from parts.  But there are a few that were IWC built, and came fully assembled by IWC. Now I still wouldn't take any chances as all the serials might be blacklisted but what sort of status would they have with IWC now? Would they be considered grey or (cough) stolen even. I was under the impression that some were models that were excess stock that never went out to AD's and had to be cleared from the factory somehow

I would love if anyone has any insider knowledge about this.

The thing I'm wondering is, there are many variations of gensteins out there, mainly the 3717, and many were assembled early on by conceptas watchmaker or other watchmakers. Many buyers also self built from parts.  But there are a few that were IWC built, and came fully assembled by IWC. Now I still wouldn't take any chances as all the serials might be blacklisted but what sort of status would they have with IWC now? Would they be considered grey or (cough) stolen even. I was under the impression that some were models that were excess stock that never went out to AD's and had to be cleared from the factory somehow. ??

If there were a few "But there are a few that were IWC built, and came fully assembled by IWC." then they would be gen and i am sure there are more than a few, if it was built in the factory but not sold via the officail chanels then i would be assuming it was stolen by a worker in the factory, and having been there i doupt you would get away with it a FEW times.