When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

custom watch box

roge21

Hi any one find that standard watch boxes are to small for the large watches

am making my own in oak to hold 18 watches with glass top to the box

and allowing 60mm width for each watch so they don't touch each other

would there be any interest in these will post photos as soon as it is finished.

• Like 2

post-17424-0-20256400-1367768772_thumb.jpost-17424-0-80606200-1367768796_thumb.jpost-17424-0-38186500-1367768816_thumb.jPhotos of the finished insert and cushions for my watch box

to hold 15 watches the cushions will hold my watches firmly and my wrist size is 8.25 inch so the standard ones you can buy just don't hold the watch right so I thought I will make my own box, the other photos show a box I have made in solid oak with glass lid but the cushions in that one are for about 6 inch wrists, just posted to show how the box will look it will be fully lined as well,

what do you think any comments welcome.

Looks a good box you made there, very professional looking.  I would imagine if you were to make various finishes of boxes, there maybe interest, however, it might not be cost effective for you given the low prices AceTimer charges.

Very nice work, but as ssteel said, unless you make yours in some way unique, I have doubts that you can compete pricewise with the ones that are currently available from Amazon, Ebay and various watch parts houses. If you are able to develop something unique, like exotic woods, or like donetrix engraved placques and other types of decorations, then you might well find a niche market for them.Your plus may be building them with bigger slots so that big watches don't rub on each other.

I remember several years ago when Cigars were all the craze, quite a few guys got into building custom humidors. Almost all of them fell by the wayside, because they couldn't compete with hte manufacturers who were geared up with a lot of sophisticated woodworking equipment and could turn out a similar product faster and cheaper. As you and most know, woodworking requires a lot of hand work, but if you have precision jigs and templates, you can cut out the sides, top and bottom of a box X 50 while the guy doing everything by hand works to cut out one.

Good Luck with your project

Thanks for the comments have made them mainly because the one available are just too small

and do not accommodate the bracelet of the watch when you have large wrists like me

also to give more space in between the watches so as not to damage them

as for price I know I could not be as cheap as the ones from ebay amazon etc

post-17424-0-20256400-1367768772_thumb.jpost-17424-0-80606200-1367768796_thumb.jpost-17424-0-38186500-1367768816_thumb.jPhotos of the finished insert and cushions for my watch box

to hold 15 watches the cushions will hold my watches firmly and my wrist size is 8.25 inch so the standard ones you can buy just don't hold the watch right so I thought I will make my own box, the other photos show a box I have made in solid oak with glass lid but the cushions in that one are for about 6 inch wrists, just posted to show how the box will look it will be fully lined as well,

what do you think any comments welcome.

Very sharp looking box. The standard Box is indeed to small.

I think it's awesome! Im having a wood worker make me a box made of African Blackwood. Do you think you could line and partition the inside of my box (3x2 partition) with a dark blue velvet interior? Of course compensation would be in order...let me know if this is something that you think you might be interested in doing.