When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Interim Review of Ordering/Purchasing TC's Type II LV Sub

SSTEEL

As promised, bracelet back from the spa treatment, so grabbed some photos of it to detail is positives, and negatives.  I have covered the negatives in video form which is uploaded to youtube right now, and will post it once completed.

The only negatives really are the safety clasp on the V4 prototype clasp, its ill-fitting, and very sharp.

Heres the photos...

Fully opened, with diver extension open too..

SANY0974_zps444d6e74.jpg

SANY0975_zpsd19ced3a.jpg
SANY0977_zpse99dd5d1.jpg

The offending item, the safety fold over clasp..

SANY0979_zpsfbe79cbf.jpg

Dive extension detailing..

SANY0976_zpsdd1ac316.jpg

SANY0978_zps73b2cff3.jpg
SANY0986_zpsb67dbaaa.jpg
SANY0980_zpsce417810.jpg

The reverse side..

SANY0981_zpsbd8982b2.jpg
SANY0983_zpsf9774d37.jpg
SANY0982_zps8bcba1a3.jpg
SANY0985_zps09dfba15.jpg
SANY0984_zpseb75e19e.jpg

The diver extension release area on the rear of bracelet, marked with a round circle..

SANY0987_zpsc9122e4f.jpg

Once my video has uploaded I will post here.  The video covers the following...

Opening procedure
Opening, and closing of Diver extension
Closing bracelet completely
Highlighting the Diver extension release area (circle)
Pointing out the sharp and ill-fitting fold over V4 safety clasp

Great review Steel!

You just pointed things i have not noticed on mine. One thing i agree wholeheartedly with is the sharp fold over the clasp. At the moment I am waiting for my bezel to arrive. Until then i enjoy it without the insert  ;)

post-52132-0-36541500-1375285176_thumb.j

Great videos!

• Like 1

I thought the new bracelets lack the EL stamping. I'd kept my v.2 bracelet to swap those out.

I was under the impression this was the case too, so confused a little myself mate.

I would imagine it is very easy to take the sharp edges off the clasp? A bit tricky to make sure you don't mark anything else mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I guess I can smooth the sharp edges, its the long pin which maybe an issue.

The long pin might be a problem.

Definitely no way you could shorten it in situ, but if it went in, it will come back out :)

Remove it, shorten it and polish the ends?

As you say it's a prototype so you've got to expect a little tinkering.

• Like 1

The long pin might be a problem.

Definitely no way you could shorten it in situ, but if it went in, it will come back out :)

Remove it, shorten it and polish the ends?

As you say it's a prototype so you've got to expect a little tinkering.

Indeed, but the thing is, I have no idea how to remove said pin, as its domed each end.  Any ideas?

Bloody hell mate I think my modem just burnt out   :partytime:  you take some cracking pics mate, I for one really appreciate you taking the time to do so   :notworthy: I'm sure lots of members appreciate it too!

Bracelet does look good and the clasp too, must admit though I'm still on my V2/V3 mix and loving it ;)       

• Like 1

Steel where did you source your insert? Finding an LV insert is wicked hard!

Got a TC LV insert on its way soon from another member I done a deal with.  This will allow me to wear the TC Sub whilst I lok for a gen LV insert.  The Rolex Forum is your best bet.

There are hundreds of Lv inserts out there for sale.

Funny thing...just being green makes them several times more expensive than a normal black insert.

The cheapest gen green insert I've ever seen over the last three years has been 350$, most are 4-500$

I made one using a cheap eBay insert from Hong Kong and a gen pearl a few years ago...but sold it. It looked spot on too, at least from the front or mounted in the watch. Gen pearls are hard to come by in the 166&& series, but doing that is cheaper than buying the gen. My TC is a plain 16610 instead of the LV for this reason, and I have a gen insert installed. Your new LV rocks SSteel! Look forward to seeing her finished. :)

Cheers, yup, will fit a TC insert in the coming weeks, then save a few pennies for a gen insert, but in no rush.  Booking next years vacation soon, so priority is this first, deposit soon enough :)

There are hundreds of Lv inserts out there for sale.

Funny thing...just being green makes them several times more expensive than a normal black insert.

The cheapest gen green insert I've ever seen over the last three years has been 350$, most are 4-500$

I made one using a cheap eBay insert from Hong Kong and a gen pearl a few years ago...but sold it. It looked spot on too, at least from the front or mounted in the watch. Gen pearls are hard to come by in the 166&& series, but doing that is cheaper than buying the gen. My TC is a plain 16610 instead of the LV for this reason, and I have a gen insert installed. Your new LV rocks SSteel! Look forward to seeing her finished. :)

Where woof??I've been checking the Rolex Forum and only find black. On ebay finding only used black inserts. Please help!!!!!

Cheers, yup, will fit a TC insert in the coming weeks, then save a few pennies for a gen insert, but in no rush.  Booking next years vacation soon, so priority is this first, deposit soon enough :)

Steel are you talking about the new TC gen like insert or his original TC LV? When I placed my order he told me the gen like insert was not complete yet but he sourced a few of his old LV inserts and would install one in my sub.

Indy look here

. Some may be sold, but if that's the case, contact seller and see if he can get more.

I have scored many parts by checking with sold items. Rolex parts require chasing and diligence.

I check the three gen forums and eBay daily. I bought a like new 16610 insert once from a guy in Greece 55$ shipped.

I also bought a fat font nos insert for my 5512 for 99$ shipped off TRF from an ad everyone missed months before..I just emailed the guy....he had forgotten lol :)

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=306558&highlight=Insert

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=298466&highlight=Insert

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=295872&highlight=Insert

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1371800308/FS-+Green+Bezel+subamriner+16610LV+REDUCED+PRICE

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1371374726/Fs-+green+bezel+x+16610lv+SEALES

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1370366348/FS+-+16610+LV+Insert+%2B+16610+Tritium+Insert

Trf is a good source. It was not a steal... But I was happy to have just picked up a new black 16610 insert for $200. Ill put this on my LV when it comes in a few weeks. I asked TC to just put the LV insert on the side. Many gen owners switch to black just from preference so its no "tell".

Indy look here

. Some may be sold, but if that's the case, contact seller and see if he can get more.

I have scored many parts by checking with sold items. Rolex parts require chasing and diligence.

I check the three gen forums and eBay daily. I bought a like new 16610 insert once from a guy in Greece 55$ shipped.

I also bought a fat font nos insert for my 5512 for 99$ shipped off TRF from an ad everyone missed months before..I just emailed the guy....he had forgotten lol :)

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=306558&highlight=Insert

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=298466&highlight=Insert

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=295872&highlight=Insert

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1371800308/FS-+Green+Bezel+subamriner+16610LV+REDUCED+PRICE

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1371374726/Fs-+green+bezel+x+16610lv+SEALES

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1370366348/FS+-+16610+LV+Insert+%2B+16610+Tritium+Insert

Thanks Woof!!!! The search begins!!!

Steel are you talking about the new TC gen like insert or his original TC LV? When I placed my order he told me the gen like insert was not complete yet but he sourced a few of his old LV inserts and would install one in my sub.

Its the current TC LV insert mate.  His V2 is not yet finished, and I have been told Thomas will update his blog on this when ready.

Just for comparison, I dug out a Sub bracelet that Trusty sold me with my first order from him earlier this year.  Its for the Eddie Lee Sub seen earlier in this thread, when I have finished refurbishing the case set any way.  

Anyway, I was very surprised to see the similarities to the TC Bracelet, and V4 clasp.  

The first thing I noticed is the TC bracelet was smaller, and in actual fact has one link less that the bracelet I got from Trusty.

Anyway, look at these following photos, and see for yourself.

Weight of the Trusty bracelet is just 0.01g more than the TC bracelet, @ 6.28g maybe that extra link?

SANY1020_zps5331dc0b.jpg

TC Bracelet on the Right in the following photos..

SANY1022_zps3695bc60.jpg
SANY1023_zps4fbdf677.jpg

As you can see, TC bracelet smaller in below photo..

SANY1021_zpsd41c22d9.jpg

TC Clasp rear, bottom.  Notice the TC not only has the correct font, but also has a space in-between "Swiss Made" whereas Trusty don't.

SANY1025_zpsbac73e33.jpg

TC bracelet, Right.  The Trusty bracelet has the 93250 stamping, the TC does not.
SANY1026_zps42e00333.jpg

TC Right
SANY1024_zps3112f119.jpg

TC bottom
SANY1028_zps98fa4d48.jpg
SANY1031_zpse1eaf11c.jpg
SANY1029_zpsdcb4d588.jpg
SANY1030_zpsb38b9024.jpg
SANY1035_zps363a1038.jpg
SANY1036_zps5e69f727.jpg
SANY1037_zpsd243a612.jpg
SANY1038_zps7c8ea205.jpg

TC Top
SANY1039_zps9f874d52.jpg
SANY1040_zps7c1f62df.jpg

TC right
SANY1027_zpsa681f93d.jpg

TC Left
SANY1041_zpsb1f36c9e.jpg

Rear of Clasp Coronet stamping (Trusty)
SANY1032_zps1414c591.jpg

Rear of Clasp Coronet stamping (TC)
SANY1034_zps1df55a3d.jpg

Trusty nearest
SANY1042_zps0c707d1f.jpg
SANY1043_zpsbd658edd.jpg

TC in focus
SANY1044_zps1239500b.jpg

TC Swiss Made
SANY1045_zpsc2e532dd.jpg

Trusty SwissMade
SANY1046_zps861bc132.jpg

Trusty DE6 STEELINOX 93250
SANY1048_zps6a17a567.jpg

TC PJ4 STEELINOX 93250
SANY1047_zps40d0470e.jpg

TC Clasp ROLEX
SANY1049_zpse88268a1.jpg

Trusty Clasp ROLEX
SANY1050_zps51e68583.jpg

TC Dive Extension (matt finish)
SANY1052_zpsb543a3c0.jpg

Trusty Dive Extension (polished/right side)
SANY1051_zps8b16e368.jpg

Anyone know what the S stands for in the Diver Extension?

TC Left.  Safety Clasp thumbnail area
SANY1054_zps9bc58282.jpg
SANY1055_zps6db37e09.jpg
SANY1056_zps8a70f2b2.jpg

TC Left - Fold over safety clasp
SANY1057_zps4f42dc77.jpg

As you can see, they are pretty close, but the TC has all the finer details correct whereas the Trusty bracelet falls short.

However, having said that, the Trusty bracelet is really well finished, and everything works on it as intended.  Quite impressed with it, but like Thomas, the devil is in the details.  

What do you guy think of the comparison?
Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

I think you did a great job showing the two. I'd take Trusty's 93250 and throw it on TCs bracelet and be done (if the stamping should be there... I... don't... know). :)

Thanks, Trustys bracelet, whilst good, it falls short on the finer details.  These are the Coronet is wrong, the spheres on the crown points are too big, and all the stampings are incorrect, however, the rest of the bracelet is close to the TC one, but until I experiment to see how the SEL fit is, its up in the air.

I guess my next step to take is to try it out, and add a comparison of fitment here :)