When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong and his prices :D

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I plunked down coin for a 16520 case and caseback this week, and got one that the tube didn't fit correctly in. I asked him about it, and got a reply to send it back and he'd make it right. We'll see...

If I could find a case that would accept a gen zenith movement without a bunch of modding, I'd buy it. His was the only one I found that wouldn't need me to own a CNC to get it right. I have 100% gen parts, accept for the case and caseback. Movement, bezel, pushers, crown, tube, crystal...all Genuine. He'd is the only game in town that'll work for the parts I have...so I paid the tax.

Happy about it: Not at all.

Choice I have for what I'm going for: None at all.

I'm afraid that as long as there is a monopoly on these "almost" gen spec cases, we are going to have to pay their prices. Either that or invest a lot of money in tools to make the others look and work right. I don't have but a couple of these Gen spec aftermarket cases, and both needed modding, but by and large outside of the MBW cases for SD's and Subs, most of the other cases are pretty problematic, at least the ones on my other modded reps.

"...but by and large outside of the MBW cases for SD's and Subs, most of the other cases are pretty problematic, at least the ones on my other modded reps."

My experience exactly.

When using an Eta movement and dial that will fit the case...MBK/MBW cases are about as good as it gets imho. There is simply no excuse for the mistakes that keep popping up on the $500 - $1500 'supercases'.

$1500 junk is still junk.

I bet if the characters selling these overpriced 'supercases' lived 10 miles down the road rather than half way around the world...their qc would get 10 times better real quick. They are insulated by distance and the fact that they can 'go silent' at any time and this allows them to sell what is basically pot luck junk at astronomical prices.

Here is some of what I have learned the hard way:

A $50 case is as good as a $1000 case if it works just as well.

Eta beats any genuine rolex movement because of cost of mvt, service, parts.

Eta is more rugged than genuine 1030/1530/3000/3035/3135.

Why? Because a $100 movement is always more rugged than a $1500 movement in my book.

Quick set beats slow set.

No date models beat them all by virtue of simplicity.

Very few people need a watch wr for much more than 30 meters.

You have to learn to fix it yourself or know someone who can to make the hobby affordable.

etc, etc...

my experience is the people in Asia who run these factories that make these products rather do business 100% on their terms, no compromise or do NO business at all with you. im not sure if its pride clouding their judgment but i have seen them walk away from huge profits for 1 week worth of work because they wouldnt change something or guarantee proper quality control. They rather sell sub par parts than improve and grown their business, they want to make the money without actually earning it.

ive tried to solve the need for good cases and even now im still running into problems with indifferent lazy manufacturers who lack pride in their own products. slowly making progress. i would have loved the answer to "who has the best value case" to be me, cause honestly the ones i did have that i sold to you guys were less expensive and better accurately -needing little to no work (not hours) compared to what MBK was putting out. At over $400s these days the mbk is losing its price to value appeal, if you get the MBK 1680 you have two dial choices without some serious destructive modding