When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD crystal, bubbles?

JimiLewis

Hi,

I've a recently purchased dssd. Somethings up with the crystal that I noticed today for the first time. The watch to me looks great under most light conditions except.......When strong light hits it from about perpendicular to the face. It appears sort of cloudy and to have tiny bubbles in the crystal, that or dust/dirt on the under side. I can't tell! Was driving down the road, checked the time and the way the sun hit it exposed this. At night or with an over head sun it looks perfectly clear.

Bubbles or dust? 

post-53463-0-65713000-1368883132_thumb.j

I have read other similar threads/posts on this contamination of the DSSD crystals, even one of our modders examined one, and found that the contamination was inside the crystal itself, not on the underside.  Obviously there was a bad batch where the crystals were made in poor air/room conditions.

I forget who it was, possibly Wiz, or KeNny?

I'm trying to find the other detailed thread on this contamination of the crystal, so far only found this one below, but will add more as and when I find it as it details some quite interesting info, and examination macro photos.

what the hell

Hey SSTEEL thanks for that. Seems to be exactly the same issue. I can see how the problem could get missed at QC. I didn't notice for maybe 20 hours while it was on my wrist! Because of the light conditions. I don't put any blame on the dealer. I've sent an email, be interested to see how I get on. Have a bit of gear on order with the same place at the moment. Hopefully I can have another crystal sent with it.

O.k. been told by a new crystal will be sent out in a couple of weeks. Was given the option to send the watch back to have it installed but I opted to have a go myself. I'm a vagrant and may will be away from my P.O. Box so can't really have anything I have to sign for show up. It could get returned if I'm not here. Have just ordered some dodgy looking watch tools on ebay for this mission..........I'll document this crystal replacement attempt with photographs once I have the everything in place and I'm good to go.

Good to hear.  You will need either the gasket to go with it, or use UV glue, along with a UV light to harden/set, oh and you will need a crystal press with the correct size dies too.

• 2 months later...

Thought I should update this. It was recommended to me by the dealer that I return the watch and let the experts replace the crystal. I did so and it's been returned. I'm working remote in the Australian out back and won't be able to see how it is for a few weeks. The service I've had is just awesome. So pleased I found this site and a couple others like it and have been steered in the direction of the 'trusted dealers'. I can only imagine the stress of trying to deal with dodgy ones. 

Thought I should update this. It was recommended to me by the dealer that I return the watch and let the experts replace the crystal. I did so and it's been returned. I'm working remote in the Australian out back and won't be able to see how it is for a few weeks. The service I've had is just awesome. So pleased I found this site and a couple others like it and have been steered in the direction of the 'trusted dealers'. I can only imagine the stress of trying to deal with dodgy ones. 

Great to hear that everything worked out so good for you! :)