When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yachtmaster Question

savage_here

I just received my new Yachtmaster and have a quick question. The bezel seems to be really loose. I don't know much about Rolexes, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

The bezel has a noticeable gap between it and the case. When you press down from the top of the bezel (toward the case), it noticeably compresses and makes a clicking noise. It feels super flimsy. Is this the way it's supposed to look/feel/sound?

For the record, this is a ETA version.

As an aside, does anybody have any direct comparison pictures of the skinny vs. thick date font on these?

Thanks so much.

Savage

I just received my new Yachtmaster and have a quick question. The bezel seems to be really loose. I don't know much about Rolexes, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

The bezel has a noticeable gap between it and the case. When you press down from the top of the bezel (toward the case), it noticeably compresses and makes a clicking noise. It feels super flimsy. Is this the way it's supposed to look/feel/sound?

For the record, this is a ETA version.

As an aside, does anybody have any direct comparison pictures of the skinny vs. thick date font on these?

Thanks so much.

Savage

Well, I got mine from Joshua a while back and I have the same type of bezel effect (weak bezel). But, I don't have any gap between the bezel and case like you describe. It's just that the bezel does not "click" - when turned - like an Omega PO, or a Sub rep. Mine is also an ETA version and, along with my Omega PO, it keeps time with my genuine Omega SMP and genuine Rolex Explorer II (and that pisses me off since I spent thousands of dollars on the later and they are as accurate as the former - which is damn accurate I must say). Since you perked my curiosity, I'm going to the nearby AD and will test the bezel clicks on their genuine Yachtmaster.

You can feel the clicks when you rotate the bezel, but it's definitely soft. Rotates both ways as well.

I wore it around the house for a bit today and it's so loose that it "rattles" just when you are wearing it to do ordinary activities. I'm guessing this is not normal.

Is there any way to remedy this, or does it have to be returned/replaced?

You can feel the clicks when you rotate the bezel, but it's definitely soft. Rotates both ways as well.

I wore it around the house for a bit today and it's so loose that it "rattles" just when you are wearing it to do ordinary activities. I'm guessing this is not normal.

Is there any way to remedy this, or does it have to be returned/replaced?

Exactly. They should be soft "clicks" and, yes, bi-directional. But, what you describe here sounds like defective bezel. Have you tried taking it off and checking out what's underneath - the mechanism that makes it click? Maybe it's not on right. I don't know, the experts are all over here. Be sure to ask them before you do anything.

When you say "normal" you mean relative to what?

Normal for a gen? Of course not.

Normal for a fake? Well I have seen bezels simply fall off so you are perhaps ahead of the curve a bit.

The YM does NOT sound or feel anything like a sub bezel, and no, obviously it should NOT rattle... but it's fake so you might just learn to live with it.

I guess part of the problem is that I received this piece at the same time as my IWC Ingenieur. The IWC is, to me, an almost perfect rep and it's built like a tank, so the YM seems even more flimsy. I'm also used to PAM's, so this YM already looks like a lady's watch and is hard to get used to. BTW, what are the case or bezel dimensions supposed to be on the YM gen?

Does one need a special tool to remove the bezel? Any step-by-step directions anywhere?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Savage

I got the same watch from Josh a couple of months ago. The bezel is loose, but not enough to rattle. It just moves easily and does not feel "quality" when it clicks.

Otherwise the watch is beautiful, and since the bezel does not rattle, I'm fine with it not feeling so good when I turn it.

I love the looks of the watch, but am thinking of getting rid of it because I feel funny wearing a rep $6K rolex. I prefer to wear a rep tag or omega that is not so far out of my realistic lifestyle. However, it is a beautiful piece.