When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replace crystal without press?

devilseam

Hi fellas,

Im sure I saw a tutorial on how to fit a crystal without using a press, but im struggling to find it again. Does anyone have any tips or should I stop being so impatient and order a press? :bangin:

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Sgt, I found a couple of horror stories of smashed crystals etc, so im going to buy a press. Took me far too long to source and I would be gutted if I buggered it!

Yea you can do it no problem, if its sapphire i would say it would be alot easier but the plastic crystals might be alittle harder to do. If its sapphire buy a pvc tube thats alittle smaller than the crystal and use that to put even pressure on it. To be honest a decent crystal press can be bought for 25$ so i would say just buy a press that way you'll have it for other projects if needed. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip Mike, I did bite the bullet and buy the press as I may also have a Datejust project starting soon so It will be useful for that also.

I can't believe how cheap some of them are.

Let us know how it turns out. Whatchya working on?

My franken UPO, just sourced a Sunnydale crystal.

You are going to be happy when you do the replacement, mine went in with no problems! :)

Looks like this!

7ed4a229-6c13-440d-b397-3ff4a7c0ba94.jpg

Sweeeeeeetttttt!

Bloody hell I might use Mike's tip afterall! Dont know if I can wait!

I have 2 crystal presses, but I usually use the hobby vice I got from Sears, which allows for much more accurate/even installation. This tool is 1 of those must-haves that come in handy for a variety of tasks

post-3175-0-59545900-1370368864_thumb.jp

You will need a set of delrin dies to set/hold the crystal/case in place, which are available from all the watch parts houses.

Well, I got home last night and couldnt resist having a go. This may be useful for other members but as you can see from the pics above of Freddy's awesome setup is not a 'professional' way of doing things! If I had the slightest ounce of patience I would have waited a week for my press to arrive, but im not so here goes................

I used a variation of Mike's tip with the tube, I actually found a plactic cap that was about 2mm smaller in diameter to the crystal, the cap came from a small leather dye I had lying around and the good thing was it was shallow and looked similar in size/shape to the dies that come with the presses.

Once i had removed the old crystal I sat the Sunnydale place and I could push it in fairly tight with my fingers to hold it in place. Then I put masking tape over the crystal and around the case to avoid any marks. With a pen I made small marks on the masking tape in the centre of the crystal and around the diameter, just to show where the crystal was located under the tape.

I then taped two pieces of thick leather to one side of a vice, the side that the caseback would be placed against, then placed the case and the cap roughly in place inside the vice, although im sure that that would have worked fine, I had a thought that maybe I should cushion the cap against the vice, so I found a 2cm think piece of rubber that I put inbetween the cap and the vice, I have no idea if this was required or not but it just felt 'better'.

Now everything was in place and I slowly, very slowly in fact! turned the handle on the vice, I felt the crystal move and pop in to the case, maybe I was lucky but when I removed the case and took the tape off, it was seated perfectly!

I then greased the case back seal, put everything in place and had a look, wow this crystal is awesome!

20130605_093837_zps2b528af1.jpg

The next jobs on the list is a gen pearl that I have on its way to me, the gen caseback I have on order and the gen rubber that should be with me today! It never ends does it!

• Like 1