When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK Yacht-Master... Need your opinion.

ceocorona

I bought a BK YM, new from BK himself, about a month or so ago.  I had a gen crown and aftermarket tube installed.  So as I spend more time on the forums absorbing the vast wealth of knowledge that exists on the boards I have come up with one question...  I understand there were various versions of the YM dial (font style, color of the YM word, color of he second hand, "swiss Made", etc...) But I was under the impression that all YM models had the Maxi Dial hour markers and hands, correct?  See below my YM Dial in comparison with my TC Maxi Dial.

ym_zps5d89c001.jpgphoto5_zpsebb6dd6b.jpg

I only noticed this when I recieved my new TC LV purchase (Thanks Wiseguy).  I originally had plans to have the YM superlumed as its factory lume is weak at best.  But now I am wondering if I need to consider either sourcing another dial; more gen like OR seeing if its possible to take the hour markers from the TC Maxi dial and placing them on my dial.  The TC factory lume is great and from what I can see pretty color accurate to the gen YM.  Thoughts, opinions? 

Thanks!

Nice Looking TC you have there my man... These Yachtmasters are growing on me and I may have to find one that we can go franken with... with that said... here are some pics of GENS:

Let me know how you think your BK looks compared to these.

post-51930-0-34429400-1370741362_thumb.j

post-51930-0-37831900-1370741370_thumb.j

post-51930-0-65987900-1370741377_thumb.j

Nice Looking TC you have there my man... These Yachtmasters are growing on me and I may have to find one that we can go franken with... with that said... here are some pics of GENS:

Let me know how you think your BK looks compared to these.

I can compare it to the 2nd YM in that group. No rehaut engraving but otherwise the thin font and maybe even the hr markers. Hmm.. First time I think I've seen that version of the YM.

Does anyone know where I can buy a BK YM? Can I fit a gen bezel on the BK YM?

Well, the OP said he bought one direct from BK a month ago, so have you asked BK?

Otherwise you'll need to find one on the sales boards, or check with TC and see if he is still selling his version (which is supposed to be from the same factory).

I spent some time at a Rolex AD on my recent trip to Vegas.  I was able to compare the rep with several gen YMs, with different dials etc.  I can now say the BK YM is a very good rep of the real gen.  Yeah sure te gen have the infamous gen luster but at 1/6th the cost the BK YM does a helluva job at replicating the overall look and feel.  Only thing its missing is a gen crystal(purchased) and superlume(shipping to PBDad).  What I may also add is a Daytona/GMTiic polished clasp.  I have seen a few over on TRF do this to replace the "cheap" YM clasp.  It's a great mod and worth looking into. 

I am now comfortable modding the YM.