When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage White Sea-dweller Almost Done But.....

lionsandtigers

As i was screwing in the gen tube, the stem of the tube broke off!!!!!! So now, the piece of the tube that screws into the case is broken off and lodged in the hole. Any way to get it out?

Mods done so far:

Insert (modern aftermarket, waiting for a vintage to turn up)

CG's reshaped

Lugholes drilled and gen springbars fitted

drsd dial changed to white

Gen tropic 39 non-superdome installed

I think this one is gonna have a nato strap

Here's a pic of the watch so far, crummy, but ok for now

155839-13760.jpg

I did the same thing with the first Triplock tube that I tried to install. You can get the treaded part out by using a small screw extractor (typically found as part of a screw-extractor kit at your local hardware store). You can also try to use other small tools (rat tail file, screwdriver, etc), just be careful not to damage the hole threads.

Edited by avitt

As i was screwing in the gen tube, the stem of the tube broke off!!!!!! So now, the piece of the tube that screws into the case is broken off and lodged in the hole. Any way to get it out?

Hey Dude, sorry to hear about your glitch.

You here in the US?

If so, and you want to send me the case, I'll extract the tube and run a tap thru the threads to make sure it's all straight for you if you like. Just drop me an e-mail and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Bill

I think this one is gonna have a nato strap

Here's a pic of the watch so far, crummy, but ok for now

lionsandtigers:

Not "crummy" at all. At least I don't think so. Excepting the datewheel font (which will only be an issue for a handful of hard-core Rolex fans), I think the project looks spectacular! The CGs, especially, are dead-on, which, even from across a room, is one of the two obvious give-aways (the other being a flat crystal) on most replicas.

The only other thing you might consider is slightly beveling (filing) the squarish edges of the case as alot of older SDs seem to be more rounded (due to repeated Rolex servicings?). Otherwise, once you get the crown/tube reinstalled (and swap datewheels), I think most people would think it's gen.

I used a cobalt drill bit so that the sharp edges catch the tube from inside. Then I fixed a bit in the handle (the one for threading) and went CCW. It took the tube out. In my case, I didn't have to rethread the case, you didn't necessarily strip either tube or case, just applied an extra pressure when the tube didn't have any room to go anymore. So the top part just broke off. Try it if you have a set of cobalt bits.

it was the gen sub tube, i have no idea if it was short or long, but i was using the tube screw tool and snap, broke right off.

The main reason for breaking these tubes is the wrong size of tap used on the case. You have to use the correct size and PITCH of tap. Any old 3mm metric tap will not do as the pitch size is specific to Rolex. That's why the tube snapped. Believe me I have done it 3 times myself!!!

Knock on wood... Have not broken a single one, have never tapped (exception being my DW, which The Zigmeister did for me) and I don't have the Rolex tool, either.

I wish I had your luck. I don't break them now as I bought the right tap size. I don't use the insertion tool just a square needle file and some loctite. You certainly can't shift them when that sets!!!!