When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Price Angels Scam? Need previous customer's help!

dommysam

Placed an order yesterday and received an email today saying:

"Thank you for your new order.

We found that your order XXXXXXXXXXX did pay with your credit card.

To safeguard your interests and ours, please confirm whether this order is placed by you or with your instruction and need you to provide clearly photos of front and back of your credit card, In order to protect the security of your card, you could just show the front 6 number and the last 4 numbers of the card ID and show us the your signature on your card back. Please notice that the signature should be shown clearly. You may check the picture below for reference."

(The order number has been blanked out by me, the email is correct). This sounds dodgy, I've never been asked this by a retailer before.

Any previous customers had the same happen?

Dom

Guest zeleni kukuruz

If you do this, be sure to also cover the backside of the creditcard, becuse the card is stamped and if you dont cover the stamped digets on the back they can read the hole creditcard nr.

I have done this on another webshop NOT on this one, so i dont know if they are legit!

But people dont think about the backside of the card thats way i just wanted to warn you about that ;)

This doesn't smell right. I can't imagine why they would be asking for all of these things. The signature is particularly disturbing. After-all, what do they want the signature for? They have nothing to compare it with to ensure you really are who you claim to be. It seems far more likely that they want to clone the card and hence want your signature so if there's any future disputes they are more likely to get away with it.

I'd walk away from this deal as it doesn't seem above-board.

I wouldn't do it. Dealers should be using card processors and not storing your info at all. The numbers should be routed directly to a separate entity. I had fraud on a card last month directly after (same day) of making a purchase through TD. I'm sure it was not the TD since I have used them before with no issues.

All credit card transactions that are done in person they ask for the card to check the signature against the signature on the CC receipt that they send to the clearing house.

So if the transaction has been done online or by chip and pin there is no need (and no point) in seeing the signature.

If its an online CC transaction I wouldn't send them a picture of the signature, but a picture proving that the card is a genuine one (front of card with part of the number obscured) sounds like just a validity check by the seller.