When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1675 dial touch up

tomten24

Hi everyone,

I´m new here but i need some help.

I got an old 1675 GMT with a not matching matte dial and hands.

The dial markers are kind of green and has some missing tritium. 

I don´t like the colour of it and i would like the markers to be more yellowish and match the hands with the same colour.

Is it possible for me doing it myself. I´m skilled in tiny jobs and got lot of patience. 

What items do i need? The markers don´t need to glow. But I need to build some of them up. 

Here is a picture of the dial.

Thank you in advance.

post-55609-0-59297100-1372797214_thumb.j

It sound like it being a gen 1675?

If that's the case, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever try to do it yourself!!!!

The first few dial you normally ruin.

And if you want to do lume stuff, don't buy the cheap lume kits. Tritec Superluminova is the way to go.

my 2 cents

I agree with 1680. If this is a gen matte dial 1675, don't mess with it yourself. it's going to cost you several hundred dollars to replace that dial if it get's ruined. i would send it to someone that knows what they are doing, and have them match the lume. They can ad a litle super luminova to the mix and have it where it has a faint glow, or they can make it stronger and it will glow like a new dial. having said this, You need to know that anything you do to that dial is going to make the watch less valuable. Folks who have any knowledge of vintage watches know that watches that are as old as the 1675, with tritium lume have lost their "glow" completely. So if you sell it and the buyer finds out it's been relumed, you might expect some kickback, unless that was expressly stated in your sales ad. Personally, unless  I was absolutely certain I was going to be the final owner of this watch,  I would have the plots repaired, as gently as possible, without any added lume.

Michael Young of classic watch repair in Hong Kong does AMAZING work on restorations of dials and bracelets. He will actually restore the dial, not scrape it and do a redial. If I were going to let anyone touch that dial, it would be him.

• 2 weeks later...

The dial must have been relumed in the past. But nothing more I guess. I have seen Michaels work on photos and it looks great. I think he is the right guy and I´m super excited to see his work. The prices are ok and everyone I have heard from is very satisfied with his work. After the touch up I think it will be hard to see difference from a non fixed dial.

All of these old dials will need some love sooner or later if they should look decent.